The addition of nutrient-packed veggies, like beautiful purple kale and juicy tomatoes, makes this delicious farro salad bowl a healthy and nutritious vegan dish that the entire family will love. It’s great served as a main or a side dish, and you can turn the leftovers into another hearty salad to enjoy the next day. Just add some fresh veggies and your favorite dressing and lunch is served!
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup semi-pearled farro, rinsed and drained. If using whole grain farro see note 1
- 3/4 plus 1/8 tsp salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 cups purple kale, stems removed, roughly chopped
- 2 large Portabella mushroom caps, diced
- 15 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan with a lid. Add the garlic and cook over medium heat for about for 2 minutes, stirring often
- Add the farro and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, stirring often
- Add 1 1/2 – 2 cups of water ( depending on cooking instructions on the packaging) and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Set aside
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the purple kale and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and sauté for 10 minutes, until soft. Transfer it to a plate and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, heat another tablespoon of oil. Add the diced mushrooms and sauté for 6-7 minutes, until all the water has evaporated. Add 1/8 teaspoon of salt and the black pepper
- Add the grape tomatoes to the skillet and sauté for 2-4 minutes until soft
- Combine the cooked farro, kale, mushrooms and tomatoes in a large bowl and toss well. Serve warm.
- If you are using whole grain farro, the ratio of grain to water is 1:3. 1 cup farro for 3 cups of water. See blog post to find out about the different types of farro.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 3.6
- Sodium: 451
- Fat: 10.8
- Saturated Fat: 1.4
- Unsaturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 38.6
- Fiber: 8.5
- Protein: 9.5
- Cholesterol: 0