Ah… Finally, fall is here. Who doesn’t love fall? It is, as far as we’re concerned, the most wonderful time of the year. We love everything about it. The leaves are changing color, kids are back in school, there’s a slight chill in there air… Wait, it is fall, right? October 3rdt? Because temperatures are going to be in the 80s all week. At least here on the East Coast! Not that we’re complaining about this amazing weather we’ve been having for that past two weeks, but just a little hint of fall would be nice!
We’ve been waiting all year to start working on our pumpkin recipes again. Last year, we went a little “pumpkin crazy”. Only because we love pumpkin everything so much. You might remember our Vegan Pumpkin Muffins, Lee’s Crunchy Pumpkin Appetizers, our Pumpkin Soup or course, oh, and that interesting slash weird experiment called Savory Pumpkin Tart…
This weather in October though, is leaving us a little confused. So we thought, why not think of a summer/fall hybrid recipe? Combine one of the best things of summer, ice cream of course, and one of our favorite fall ingredients??
VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE ICE CREAM!
Here’s a fun fact about this recipe. The first time we made it, and it was gone before we had a chance to take pictures of it. So we have to make it all over again. Yeah, it’s that good.
Happy Pumpkin Season!!
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1-15oz can pumpkin
- 1 pint container of French Vanilla Coconut Milk Creamer (we use So Delicious)
- 1 cup vanilla flavored unsweetened non-dairy milk (here we used So Delicious Cashew Milk)
- 1-6oz container of vanilla coconut milk yogurt (we use So Delicious)
- ⅓ cup sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1½ tbsp pumpkin pie spice (or to taste. This amount will give the ice cream a pretty strong spice flavor!)
- ½ tsp guar gum (optional) (See note)
- 1 tbsp whiskey or bourbon if you prefer (optional) (See note)
- Crushed cinnamon graham crackers for garnish
- Combine pecans or walnuts and brown sugar in a small bowl. Mix well using your hands so the walnuts are coated. Cook at medium low heat in a non stick skillet for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool
- Combine all ingredients, except whiskey, in a blender and mix until well combined. Chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or overnight.
- Once the ice cream base is chilled, add whiskey and mix well. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn until an ice cream like consistency is reached (time will vary depending the ice cream maker). Transfer to a bowl and mix in caramelized pecans.
- Top with crushed cinnamon graham crackers before serving