Things I learned yesterday:
- If it’s a nice day and you’re sitting outside doing work for a couple of hours, people will inevitably talk to you. About anything.
- True friends will genuinely get excited when you share good news.
- Drinking 2 coffees and a quart of water before going for a run… not the smartest idea.
- Not all Wawa stores around here have restrooms.
- Porta-potties are probably THE grossest, most disgusting things in the universe. No flushing system, no sink and no hand sanitizer? Enough said.
- Porta-potties should only be used in case of absolute necessity (like, when you drink 2 coffees and a quart of water before going for a run and the closest Wawa doesn’t have a restroom)
- Keys, water, tissues, your driver’s license and a credit card are essential when you go out for a run. I just learned I need to add a business card to that list
And last but not least, I learned (or remembered, rather) that no matter how many times you fail at something, eventually you will succeed, as long as you keep trying and don’t give up.
We’ve been attempting to come up with a good homemade veggie burger recipe for a while now. And every single time, something just wasn’t right. Well, no, I shouldn’t say “something”. It was always the texture. Too mushy, too dry… and they would always fall apart. So, right when we were about to throw in the towel and forget the whole thing, we put together this recipe that ended working beautifully. Just like that. Right on time for Memorial Day too! Funny how things work out sometimes…
I guess it’s true what they say, you learn something new everyday
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk or water
- 1-8oz package tempeh
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp grilling or hamburger seasoning mix
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 medium scallions, sliced thin
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheese ( we use GoVeggie! Mozzarella Style Vegan Shreds)
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet aluminum foil and spray it generously with cooking spray.
- Combine ground flax seeds and almond milk or water in a small bowl. Set aside
- Crumble tempeh in a large bowl. Add Paprika, hamburger seasoning, salt and black pepper and toss gently
- Add black beans, scallions, cheese and flax mixture and using your hands, mash it all together until all the ingredients are well combined ( you can also use a food processor, but we prefer doing it by hand for more firm, less “mushy” texture)
- Divide the mixture in 4 pieces and shape each one into patties, about an inch thick
- Brush both sides of each patty with olive oil and carefully transfer them to the baking sheet. Bake at 375F for 30 minutes then broil for 5-7 minutes, watching them carefully so they don’t burn
- Serve on a bun with your favorite fixings… We love these with Home Made Hummus, Roasted Tomatillo Salsa or Romesco Sauce!