This is a delicious and easy to make warm pumpkin cocktail made with real pumpkin and with a little kick. Vegan and Gluten Free.
You would be amazed to know how many people are utterly surprised to find out we didn't grow up celebrating Thanksgiving. That we didn't really know much about the Holiday until we moved to the US. Which, if you think about it, makes sense, since Thanksgiving is an American Holiday and it's not celebrated in Spain!
I have to say though, it really is one of my favorites. Mainly because I'll take any excuse to gather friends and family and spend some quality time together. And no other Holiday does that like Thanksgiving. I love the fact that people travel from all over the country to be with their families on this day. I love the days of planning and preparation that go into it. And of course, I love that it's a whole day affair with lots and lots of food.
We might not have any Thanksgiving family traditions we grew up with, but we have certainly created our own over the years. One of my favorites is this little challenge my sister and I have, to come up with new pumpkin recipes every year. Personally, this "obsession" I have for pumpkin started on my very first Thanksgiving, when I had Naomi's pumpkin pie for the first time. I thought it was the strangest thing when I first saw it, but once I took a bite, I was hooked. And I've loved everything pumpkin ever since.
The wheels usually start turning as soon as the pumpkin season starts. And the main challenge is coming up with recipes that are fun and different, but also vegan. Since in our family, we have meat eaters, picky eaters, vegetarians and vegans AND we keep kosher (which means we cannot serve meat and dairy products together), we have to come up with dishes that everyone can enjoy. Not always an easy task, but definitely one that gets our creative juices flowing!
We came up with this recipe last year, but we never got a chance to share it. Well, at least not with the family ( it did get my co-workers approval though ;))The idea behind it was to recreate the traditional flavors of pumpkin pie, in a quick little fun pumpkin cocktail.
Tips to create a crowd pleasing pumpkin cocktail
- Use a good ready to serve vegan pumpkin spice drink
- Use canned pumpkin make sure it is 100% pumpkin and not pumkin pie filling
- Adjust pumpkin spice to your liking. If you don't like pumpkin spice use only cinnamon or a combination of cinnamon and ground cloves.
- Adjust the amount of alcohol to your own taste.
- Serve it warm
- Top it with a dollop of non-dairy whipped cream to make it extra creamy
If you are hosting Thanksgiving this year and you're expecting guests with any dietary restrictions, don't panic! A little bit of research and paying attention to products labels is basically all you need. Luckily, there are plenty of amazing products in the market that will make your like a lot easier!
For more vegan holidays ideas, click here
Did you like this recipe for warm pumpkin spice cocktail? Share it! You didn’t? Tell us why! You want to make it, but you have questions? We’re here to help! Connect with us via Twitter, Pinterestor Face
Easy to make warm pumpkin spice drink with a little kick.
- 2 cups pumpkin spice coconut milk beverage (we used So Delicious)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage (we used So Delicious)
- 4 tbsp organic canned pumpkin
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ oz dark rum (or to taste)
- 1 ½ oz vanilla flavored vodka (or to taste)
- Vegan whipped topping for garnish (we used So Delicious CocoWhip)
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Combine pumpkin spice drink, coconut milk beverage, pumpkin and spices in a medium size sauce pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Add rum and vodka and continue simmering for 1-2 minutes
- Serve hot with a dollop of vegan whipped topping and a cinnamon stick
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 139
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 143mg
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g