Not only for Passover Recipes: Warm braised celery salad. We have elevated celery to a delectable vegetarian side dish spiced with turmeric, pepper and cumin with a touch of tangy lemon.
We LOVE vegetables. We just think they’re awesome. They’re fun to work with, they’re versatile, they’re tasty.. Well, most of them anyway. Let’s just say, some might need a little extra TLC to make them shine.
Perfect example? Good old celery.
Yes, celery does have a distinctive taste. Yes, it’s crunchy, and filling, and sort of a “hero” for anyone on a diet. It’s low in calories and sugar, high in fiber, vitamin K, A and B vitamins, and minerals like potassium. Celery juice has gained tons of popularity lately, and it’s now considered a superfood…
But let’s be honest. How many people out there really, truly, find pleasure in chewing on celery, unless is smothered in peanut butter or some kind of dip?
So, to be fair and give celery a chance, we’re dressing it up a little. We’re giving it a little makeover. Well, it’s not really “ours”, it’s just our version of it. The inspiration for this recipe comes from our sister Rebecca’s husband, Haim, who used to make this tasty (yes, tasty) celery salad for us every Friday night. Celery, Middle Eastern style. It’s also a great dish to serve during Passover! Sounds exciting already, doesn’t it? 😉
Need more ideas? Check out these other celery recipes!
- Lemon & Celery Broth Over Israeli Couscous
- Creamy Passover Celeriac Soup
- Chana Masala Over Celeriac Puree
- Smashed Chickpea Salad
Did you like our braised celery salad ? Scroll down to the comments and leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!
Warm braised celery salad. We have elevated celery to a delectable vegetarian side dish spiced with turmeric, pepper and cumin with a touch of tangy lemon.
- 12 celery stalks, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium size carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/4–1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley ( Optional)
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil and add celery, garlic, carrots, salt, pepper, turmeric and cumin. Cook at medium-high heat for about 5 minutes
- Add 1 1/2 cup of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook covered for 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if using