I love soup. Actually, I think I’m somewhat obsessed with it. And it’s funny because growing up, we didn’t eat it that much. My mom used to make a couple different kinds that we of course loved, but that didn’t happen too often.
My guess is that I started to really enjoy it after I moved to the US and got hit with my first snow storm. I realized then, that was going to be my new reality. Freezing cold winters (at least compared to our winters in Barcelona!) and lots of snow. And nothing helped me cope with that better than a hot, steamy bowl of soup.
So I started to get creative and play with different ingredients. The possibilities? Endless! Anything from light, to hearty to one-meal-in-a-bowl soups. Different cuisines, different styles, different textures… And I ended up with a whole “repertoire” that I enjoy every winter and to which I add every year. I love it. And so does my family.
The one thing I was never able to get quite right though, was Asian style soups. I really enjoy them when I eat out, but sometimes, especially when it’s cold outside, who feels like gong out? All I want to do id curl up on the couch with a blanket and a good movie. So I tried to unsuccessfully recreate them many, many times. Not the same though.
Until I came up with this recipe. I totally made it up, so it might not be the real thing… but let me tell you, I like it so much that it has become my new “chicken soup”. Soothing, comforting and the best remedy for (almost) everything.
And since the temperature just dropped about 25 degrees from yesterday, I’d say it’s the perfect time for it.
Hope you enjoy it 🙂
Have a great week,
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 30-35 minutes
- Ingredients (makes approx. 12 servings):
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 10 cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable bouillon
- 4 tsp gluten free soy sauce
- 3-4 dashes vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 3/4 – 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp diced hot cherry peppers
- 1-14 oz package of extra firm tofu, cubed
- 3 tbsp freshly squezeed lime juice
- In a large soup pot, sauté garlic and ginger in sesame oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes
- Add water, vegetable bouillon, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and carrots. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cilantro, cherry pepper, tofu and lime juice. Simmer for another 15 minutes
- ENJOY! From May I have that recipe