Lately, I’ve been having the strongest craving for spicy food. I have no idea why. I’ve never been particularly fond of it, but over the past couple of weeks, I’ve found myself sprinkling cayenne pepper on absolutely everything. From yogurt, to salads, to fruit… you name it. A few days ago I ate an entire bowl of cut up strawberries loaded with cayenne and black pepper, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. All that after eating roasted chipotle salsa with a spoon, right out of the jar. Sounds insane, I know.
Obviously, my body is craving something. What, I’m not sure. But I better figure it out soon, because my stomach is not very happy with me at the moment.
I was on this spicy food kick when I made the Israeli Carrot Soup for the first time. And that “pinch of cayenne” the recipe calls for, was more like a handful!
Same goes for this Vegan Chicken Salad. When I first tested the recipe on my own, I believe I added not only cayenne, but also sriracha and pickled jalapeno peppers. Super hot. Good thing Vicky was with me to cool it down a bit when we re-tested it for the blog!
So here’s the “milder” version for you. And if you feel like kicking up the heat a notch, you know what to do 😉
- 10 oz pack super firm tofu
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 tbs flax seeds
- 3 scallions, sliced
- ½ cup almonds ,chopped
- 3 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp vegan cream cheese alternative, plain or garlic & chive flavored (we use Go Veggie! )
- 3 tbsp vegan sandwich spread (we used Follow your heart Vegenaise)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp salt (or to taste)
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- In a large bowl, crumble the tofu with your hands. Add chopped celery, carrots, cilantro, flax seeds, scallions, almonds, capers, turmeric and black pepper. Set aside
- To prepare the dressing, whisk together vegan cream cheese and sandwich spread. Add mustard, rice vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt and cayenne (if using), whisking until all the ingredients are well incorporated
- Pour dressing over tofu mixture, mix well and refrigerate until ready to use
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Kosher / Vegan