Made with pineapple, mango, and coconut this green smoothie will transport you to a tropical island until you are able to get there yourself.
We've come up with this super easy and delicious tropical green smoothie to brighten your mornings. And no, we haven't reinvented the wheel, and we're not trying to either. We realize there are thousands of awesome green smoothie recipes out there. We just want to add one more to your repertoire. You know, in case you get bored and need to switch it up a little.
Why You'll Love This Green Smoothie Recipe
It's green but doesn't taste like it is. This usually helps if you're trying to get your kids to eat more veggies.
It's "tropical", and it has a beautiful tropical flavor. So you can make it for breakfast and pretend you're sitting on a white sandy beach somewhere far, far away, at least until you have to leave for work. Thank the toasted coconut for that.
It's really satisfying. And yummy. So it will give you a boost of energy and keep you full for a while (which means you'll probably end up eating less, and help get your body ready for that white sandy beach you were just dreaming about.)
Green Smoothie Ingredients
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage. You might also use coconut water.
- Frozen Pineapple Chunks. Pineapple is one of the best ways to make a green smoothie taste amazing.
- Frozen Mango Chunks. Because this is a mango spinach smoothie your family will love! Mango is a huge favorite at our house.
- Fresh Baby Spinach. Yes, this is a banana spinach smoothie but no one will taste this ingredient. That's the beautiful thing about healthy green smoothies!
- Toasted Coconut. Shredded or flakes.
- Frozen Banana. When I have a banana getting extra ripe, I peel it, place it in a sealed plastic bag, and freeze it for use in future smoothies. Bananas add sweetness and add creaminess to the smoothie.
- Orange Juice. Adds sweetness and liquid.
- Lemon Juice. Adds a touch of brightness.
- Chia Seeds. These have so much nutritional value and essential fatty acids!
How to Make a Green Smoothie
Making a pineapple spinach smoothie will be the easiest meal of the day. All you have to do is throw everything into your blender of choice and blend it all up until smooth. If your blender of choice has a recommended order of ingredients, make sure to follow that and blend the smoothie in stages for the best results. You can also pre-measure all the ingredients the night before, and place them in a freezing. er bag in your freezer and just add liquid and blend in the morning
Tips for a Perfect Smoothie
Place liquids in the bottom of your blender first and then add the frozen ingredients. Add the thawed fruit or leafy ingredients and seeds to the top.
Pulse your blender until you get a blended liquid, and then turn it up to pulverize nuts, seeds, and chunkier fruit to a true puree.
If your blender is struggling, use the plunger stick first to try and get things going again. If that doesn't work, add liquid in very small amounts. You may need to stop the blender, open the lid, and stir the ingredients with a spoon to loosen up whatever has created a vacuum.
Variations on the Best Green Smoothie Recipe
- Add almonds or pine nuts for protein.
- Use almond milk in place of coconut milk if you don't love coconut.
- Consider adding a scoop of vanilla protein powder or plain greek yogurt if you really want to focus on protein consumption.
- Pick any leafy greens to use in place of the spinach. Make it a kale smoothie instead for instance.
- Add a dash of ground cinnamon or ginger for a little exotic kick.
- Give your smoothie an extra creamy texture and healthy fats with half of an avocado.
- Grapes add a bit more sweetness.
- Use ground flaxseed in place of the chia seeds.
- Add celery for a celery smoothie. This veggie is full of nutrients and very low calorie.
- Add green matcha powder for a fun flavor addition and a matcha smoothie that tastes amazing.
Are green smoothie recipes healthy?
Given that all of the ingredients are full of vitamins, nutrients, essential fatty acids and limited calorie content I would say that our best green smoothie recipe is a very healthy choice filled with vegetables and fruit. Not all recipes are created equal however. Watch out for recipes with added sugar or other sugary ingredients.
Can you taste the spinach in a green smoothie?
Not really. My recommendation is to put a lid on your green smoothie to block the smell of chlorophyll (the chemical that makes things green). This will help you not associate an off taste with the smoothie since smell and taste are so connected.
What are the best liquids to use in a green smoothie?
We recommend an unsweetened coconut milk beverage and orange juice. You could also use almond milk, coconut water, or your favorite non-dairy milk of choice.
What's the best combination of ingredients for a green smoothie?
Our tropical smoothie recipe includes an unsweetened coconut milk beverage, frozen pineapple chunks, frozen mango chunks, fresh baby spinach, toasted coconut, frozen banana, orange juice, lemon juice, and chia seeds.
Can green smoothies cause weight loss?
The best way to lose weight is to consume fewer calories than you use in a day and increase your physical activity. Consult a doctor to find a weight loss plan that works for you.
Is it OK to drink a green smoothie every day?
Yes. If you plan to do this, be sure to rotate through different leafy greens to get a variety of nutrients throughout your week.
What are the best greens to put in a smoothie?
Spinach is my go to green food to add to my smoothies, however kale or other leafy greens would also be an excellent choice and would allow you to switch things up or buy whichever produce is on sale.
Can green smoothies be frozen?
Yes. Freeze the smoothie and eat it like ice cream or simply thaw for later use. Keep the frozen smoothie in your freezer for up to three months in an airtight container.
DID YOU ENJOY OUR TROPICAL GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE?
If you enjoyed this recipe, it would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.
More of the Best Smoothie Recipes All In One Place
Enjoy these other smoothies and smoothie bowls.
- Winter Breakfast Smoothie
- Raspberry and Beet Smoothie Bowl
- Orange Medley smoothie
- Nourish Your Body Smoothie
If you enjoyed this recipe, it would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
Made with pineapple, mango and coconut this green smoothie will transport you to a tropical island until you are able to get there yourself.
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- 1 ½ cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tbsp toasted coconut (shredded or flakes)
- 1 medium-size frozen banana
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Blend till smooth
- You can pre-measure all the ingredients the night before, place them in a freezer bag in your freezer and just add liquid and blend in the morning
This post was originally published on May 1st, 2014 - It has been updated with new images and information.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 ¼ cups
- Calories: 194
- Sugar: 28.6
- Sodium: 131
- Fat: 3.9
- Saturated Fat: .7
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 39.7
- Fiber: 4.5
- Protein: 3.4
- Cholesterol: 0