Do you want to learn how to make caramel in less than 15 minutes? Scroll down! Bonus: it's vegan, it's gluten free and has no sugar added!
If you've ever attempted to make caramel from scratch, you probably know that it can be a daunting task. One mistake, and you'll end up with a sticky mess... or a really bad burn!
It's one of the things we love the most about this tahini date caramel. It doesn't require any cooking, and it's super simple and quick to prepare. To make it even better, it's made with just a handful of ingredients, and has no sugar added. And it's vegan and gluten free, too!
All you need to prepare the caramel is:
- Medjool dates, which give that sweet, caramely taste
- Plant based milk, to help blend the dates and get them nice and smooth
- Tahini, to make it creamy and add nuttiness
- Vanilla extract, for more caramely like flavor
- Sea salt, because the sweet and salty combo is just awesome
After soaking the dates in hot milk, all you have to do is blend all the ingredients until smooth, and done!
Store the caramel in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. And always make sure to use clean utensils to scoop it out!
Here are some fun things you can do with this caramel:
- Drizzle it over ice cream
- Spread it on toast
- Add it to your overnight oats
- Use it as a fruit dip
- Ice cinnamon buns with it
- Top baked apples
- Jazz up your smoothie bowl
Did you like this caramel recipe? Leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!Print
Do you want to learn how to make caramel in less than 15 minutes? Scroll down! Bonus: it's vegan, it's gluten free and has no sugar added. Trust us, you'll want to try it!
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- 3/4 - 1 cup unsweetened plant based milk, hot
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Soak the dates in 3/4 cup of hot milk, in a heatproof bowl, for 5 minutes
- Transfer the dates and milk to a high-speed blender, add the tahini, vanilla and salt and blend until smooth (you might need to add a little more milk to make it easier to blend the dates). The mixture will be thick
- Store in a glass jar or airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 months (see note)
- Always use a clean utensil to scoop out the date caramel to keep it fresh
- Category: dessert
- Method: raw
- Cuisine: vegan sweets
- Serving Size: 1 tbsp
- Calories: 48
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 81.3
- Fat: 1.9
- Saturated Fat: 0.3
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7.8
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 0.9
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: caramel, dates, vegan, plantbased, gluten free, dairy free, tahini