“Sponsored Post – Italian Summer Grilling”
Summer days are made for grilling. Unless… You live in a township that has banned to use of outdoor grills in townhouses.
Yes. Sadly, that has been our case for the past few years. But no more! We are finally allowed to grill this year and we intend to take full advantage of it.
And the timing couldn’t have been any more perfect. Inspired by the wonderful selection of authentic Italian products from Colavita , we created this delicious and certainly “out of the box” dessert pizza.
What makes it “out of the box” you may ask? Continue reading and you’ll find out.
If you’ve ever attempted to make pizza dough form scratch, you’ll know that the quality of the flour you use is extremely important. Colavita ‘s 00 flour yields an incredibly soft and smooth dough, easy to work with and, as expected, absolutely delicious. We baked it in the oven for a few minutes first, and finished it off on the grill for a touch of smokey flavor and crispiness.
Now, for the “unusual” part: the chocolate sauce. Pretty ordinary… until you find out the secret ingredient we used as a base: Cirio’s Italian crushed tomatoes. And if you’re raising you eyebrow right now, just hear us out. The slight tang and sweetness from the tomatoes actually works beautifully with the chocolate and hint of bitterness from the cocoa powder. And it definitely helps create a dessert that is light and not overly sweet.
We chose mango, pineapple and banana as our fruit topping, but you can certainly use your favorites here. Coated with some Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and seasoned with a little bit of sugar, a pinch of salt and a just a touch of black pepper for a little kick, and , we placed to fruit on the grill just until golden and caramelized .
So if you’re ready to grill like and Italian and step a little bit out of your comfort zone this summer, give this recipe a try! And of course, don’t forget to share your thoughts with us 🙂
- Pizza Dough
- 2 1/2 cups Colavita 00 flour
- 1tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1tsp Rachel Ray Salt From The Sea
- 1/4 tsp Rachel Ray Black Peppercorns, ground
- 3/4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chocolate sauce
- 3 tbsp Cirio Italian Crushed Tomatoes With Basil
- 3 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Fruit topping
- 2 bananas, cut in half and sliced lengthwise
- 4 slices canned pineapple
- 1 mango, ripe but firm, sliced
- 1 tbsp Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp Rachel Ray Salt From The Sea
- 1/8 tsp Rachel Ray Black Peppercorns, ground
- Confectioner’s sugar (optional)
- To prepare the dough, combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt and pepper in a standing mixer bowl. Add warm water and olive oil and kneed using the hook attachment, until all the ingredients are incorporated forming a soft dough
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough rise for 2 hours
- After the dough has risen, roll onto a 10×15 baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 500F for about 8 minutes. Let it cool slightly
- In the meantime, prepare the chocolate sauce. Combine all the ingredients in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until the chocolate chips have melted and all the ingredients are well combined. Remove from heat and puree using an immersion blender (you can also use a regular blender). Set aside
- Turn on the grill. Cut the pizza dough into 6 squares. Place the dough squares on the grill until they start to lightly crisp up and grill marks start to appear. Remove from grill and set aside
- To prepare the fruit topping, combine fruit n a large bowl. Add olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper and toss carefully, so it’s well coated
- Carefully place the fruit on the grill and cook until it starts to caramelize on both sides
- To assemble the pizza, spoon chocolate sauce over each square and top with grilled fruit. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar (optional)