We flew back yesterday afternoon and thankfully made it home safely after a very bumpy landing… and a tornado warning a couple of hours after our arrival.
Our last week in Barcelona was super hectic to say the least! Party after party after party, leading to the main reason for our trip, our cousin’s wedding. We enjoyed the most amazing food and had such a great time.
So all that excitement kept us from posting the last recipe we wanted to share before leaving Spain: Spiced caramelized figs, inspired by the beautiful figs in my dad’s garden and one of our mom’s favorite recipes.
Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 pints figs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp whole cloves*
- Arrange figs in a large pan
- Add sugar
- Cook at high heat until the figs start to release their juices
- Add lemon juice (make sure not to skip this step, lemon juice keeps the sugar from crystallizing)
- Crush the cloves and add them to the figs (you can use a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle)
- Cook for and hour and a half to two hours. Let it sit for an hour
- ENJOY! From May I have that recipe
*Note: This amount gives this recipe a very intense clove flavor. Use half the amount for a milder taste