Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies
We have a cookie problem in my house. And it’s at a point where it’s getting serious. I guess it’s somewhat expected in a household where a growing teenager and a grown man (with very little self control when it comes to sweets) live, but still. Cookies do not last in my house more than two days. These two devour them almost immediately, and they are making my job a lot more difficult than it should be. Because they eat them before I get a chance to take a picture and that drives me crazy!
Don’t get me wrong, after all these years of blogging, they are very well trained: no one is allowed to even get close to the food before asking, one, if the food is for the blog, and two, if I’ve already taken a picture. But for some reason, when it comes to cookies, those rules go out the window.
These cookies were no exception. Especially considering the chocolate-mint obsession that goes on around here. As soon as my sister brought them over, both my son and my husband started pacing around the kitchen like lions ready to catch their prey. Thankfully, she knows better by now and made a double batch!
Whenever possible, even when making indulgent treats like cookies, we try to make them at least a little bit healthier than the traditional recipes . That doesn’t mean they’re completely guilt free, but every little bit helps, right?
In this recipe we substituted half of the amount of coconut oil for GO VEGGIE vegan cream cheese. We actually use vegan cream cheese very often when we bake, because it provides a rich, buttery texture while keeping the recipe dairy and cholesterol free, lower in saturated fat and of course, vegan. Also, to avoid adding extra sugar, we used unsweetened chocolate as well as unsweetened cocoa powder
Again, still a treat, but just a little “friendlier” version if you will, for people with certain dietary restrictions…. and real life cookie monsters 😉
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup GO VEGGIE Plain Vegan Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon natural peppermint extract (you can use more or less to taste)
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine coconut oil, vegan cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract. Beat, using an electric mixer, 1-2 minutes until creamy. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture. Continue beating until just incorporated
- Using your hands, gather the dough together, remove a little bit more than half and set it aside
- Add melted chocolate, cocoa powder and peppermint extract to the dough that is left in the bowl and beat until just incorporated
- Wrap the plain and the chocolate dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes
- Remove the plastic wrap and place the 2 pieces of dough on two separate large pieces of parchment or wax paper. Roll each one into a rectangle, approximately 1/8 inch thick. Carefully place the chocolate dough over the plain and peel off the paper (try to align them the best you can)
- Starting with the longer side closest to you, carefully and tightly roll the dough to form a long log. Wrap the paper around it and refrigerate for 10 minutes
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the dough into 1/4 inch thick slices (you should get about 24) and arrange them over the lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes
This is a sponsored post. All opinions are ours. Please help us support the companies that support “May I have that recipe” !
Other Vegan Cookies you May also Like