Yes, we’re talking Passover already. Of course it doesn’t feel like it’s coming, since we just got hit yet again with another snow storm. But whether spring decides to put its foot down and push winter out of the way or not, Passover is rapidly approaching.
So we’re starting to plan already. And this year, we wanted to create gluten free passover recipes, just to switch it up a little. And even though eating gluten free during passover isn’t the most difficult thing to do, it can get challenging, since a lot of products and recipes call for matzah, matzah meal and other gluten containing ingredients.
Personally, we find breakfast to be one of the most challenging meals during passover. Especially trying to make it somewhat nutritious!
Well, once again, quinoa to the rescue. This tiny little power house is actually considered a seed and is also kosher for Passover. Great alternative to people who don’t eat rice during the holiday. And so versatile, that can even be made into granola. As we did in this recipe.
Enjoy it with milk, almond milk or yogurt as part of your breakfast, or just by itself as a healthy snack.
Definitely healthier than all that other sugary stuff
- Dry ingredients
- 2 cups raw quinoa (any type)
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup ground walnuts
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- Wet Ingredients
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add after baking:
- ⅓ cup raisins
- ⅓ cup cranberries
- Pre-heat oven to 275 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Set aside
- In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients and mix well
- Add the wet ingredients to dry.
- Mix well using your hands, so the quinoa is coated evenly.
- Spread evenly on lined baking sheet, to form one thin, single layer ( you may need to bake it in two batches)
- Bake for 45 minutes at 275F, checking and mixing every 15 minutes so it cooks evenly
- Let it cool slightly and add raisins and cranberries. Mix well
- Let it cool completely and store in air tight container