Super quick and easy vegan maple pecan waffles, made with whole wheat flour and sweetened with maple syrup.
I recently started teaching an indoor cycling class at a small studio near by. I’ve been teaching fitness classes for about 8 years now, but back in October I decided to take a much needed break. And just as many of my friends and class participants predicted, I couldn’t stay away for long. I started to miss it a little too much, so after giving up my previous 6 classes, I had to get back to it. New place, new people… absolutely nerve racking. My first time back felt like my very first time teaching. I was just as anxious and just as nervous. Until I hopped on that bike. Suddenly, it all went away and I felt like I had never left. It was like, well, riding a bike!
Last week, as I was setting up for class, I saw my sister walk through the door. I was shocked! Not because she doesn’t workout (she used to take my classes all the time ) but because this new class I’m teaching starts at 6am! Yes, 6 o’clock IN THE MORNING. And my dear sister has a lot of amazing qualities, but she is NOT a morning person, by any means. So seeing her there at 5:50am was very confusing. Two minutes later, a good friend of mine showed up. Then another one. Then another one. They had all “conspired” behind my back to surprise me by showing up at my class. Which normally wouldn’t be a big deal, but to do that at 6am in the morning, the day after daylight savings (which means we had all lost an hour of sleep already!) was over the top. They even signed up using fake names, so I wouldn’t know they were coming! I was (obviously) surprised, overwhelmed and most of all, touched. It’s amazing how a simple act like that can absolutely make your day.
And speaking of simplicity, that’s exactly what this recipe is all about. These maple pecan waffles are quick and easy to make and only require a few simple ingredients. So much so, that don’t have to wait till the weekend to enjoy them! Just add some fresh fruit, a drizzle of maple syrup, and you’re good to go. Or dress them up a little and serve them for brunch on the weekend. Either way, they are simply delicious 🙂
Vegan pecan Waffles – Whole Grain, diairy free, kosher, no refined sugar. Super healthy tasty breakfast
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (we use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder (we use Bob’s Red Mill )
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non dairy yogurt ( here we used So Delicious)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, warmed up slightly
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup seltzer water
- Preheat your waffle iron
- Combine flour, pecans, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, warm maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla. Mix well and pour over flour mixture. Add seltzer water and mix until just combined
- Coat the waffle iron with cooking spray. Working with about 1/4 cup batter at a time, cook the waffles for 2-3 minutes ( time may vary depending on the waffle iron)
- Serve warm with fresh fruit, maple syrup or your favorite topping