Donuts are very much like love. Everyone wants them, but finding one worth having… isn’t always an easy task.
The cheap, greasy, accessible ones may fulfill you for 5 minutes, but will leave you feeling sad and full of regret. The ones with substance and a clean foundation will allow you to enjoy every moment and will leave you wanting for more.
The overly sweet ones will give you a temporary high followed by a hard crash. And they will overwhelm you to the point you’ll crave a touch of saltiness and spice. The more balanced ones will keep your emotions steady and make you feel a calm and at peace.
The hot, cool, trendy ones will hold your attention temporarily and you’ll forget about them in a flash. The more subtle and sophisticated ones will keep you interested and will stay engraved in your memory.
Now, I might not know much about love. But baked good? You bet. And these vegan baked halva donuts prove everything I just said is true 😉
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp grapeseed (or vegetable) oil
- ½ cup maple syrup at room temperature
- ¾ cup non dairy milk, lukewarm (here we used So Delicious)
- ⅓ cup shelled pistachios
- For the halva glaze:
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- Combine water and ground flax in a small bowl and set aside
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom and salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together tahini and grapeseed oil until well combined. Slowly pour maple syrup, whisking constantly. Add flax mixture and milk and mix well
- Add flour mixure and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined (do not overmix)
- Let the batter sit while you preheat the oven
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Coat a non stick donut pan with cooking spray
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of batter per donut and gently spread it evenly on the mold. Bake for 13-15 minutes and let them cool.
- For the Halva Glaze:
- Whisk tahini and confectioner's sugar until well incorporated.Add milk one tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly. Add cardamom an mix well
- Dip donuts in halva glaze and sprinkle with pistachios