April is such an awesome month. Yes, the weather is getting warmer and we're starting to finally see the sun, and that's great. But you know what else? It's National Grilled Cheese Month. Which means, really cool grilled cheese recipes are everywhere. Food blogs, magazines, cooking shows, restaurants... It's grilled cheese mania, and we couldn't be happier. Because, let's face it, who doesn't love grilled cheese???
Well, we do!
And surprisingly, up till now, we've only posted one recipe,our Middle Eastern Style Grilled Cheese... and it was a year ago! What were we thinking?!
So, to make up for it, we have a few coming for you.
How about we kick it off with a vegan one? Thanks to our friends at GoVeggie! ,we have plenty of vegan cheese alternatives to play with. Along with lots of "goo".
Check it out, you'll see what we mean...
Incredibly gooey vegan grilled cheese with a hint of heat and tang from roasted tomatillos. Enjoy the leftover salsa with chips, over fish or even as salad dressing!
- For the tomatillo salsa
- 2 cups chopped tomatillos (about 6-7)
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 small head of garlic
- 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- For the sandwich
- 4 slices firm, organic sandwich bread
- ⅔ cup shredded ]vegan cheese (we use GoVeggie! Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds)
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese[/url]alternative (we use GoVeggie! Plain)
- 1 tbsp non-hydrogenated vegetable spread
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Toss chopped tomatillos with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and ½ teaspoon of salt. Wrap the head of garlic in aluminum foil.
- Transfer tomatillos and wrapped garlic to lined baking sheet and roast at 375F for about 25 minutes. Let them cool slightly
- Place tomatillos, garlic ("squeezing" it from the peel), jalapenos and cilantro in a food processor, along with ½ teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of olive oil. Pulse until smooth and refrigerate until ready to use
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheesewith 3 tablespoons of tomatillo salsa. Mix well
- Lightly toast the bread and butter one side of each slice with non-hydrogenated vegetable spread
- Spread cream cheesemixture on the other side of each slice. Cover 2 of the slices with shredded cheese(⅓ cup each) and top with the remaining bread
- Place sandwiches on a sandwich maker or on a non-stick skillet at medium-low heat and cook until the cheese is completely melted
- Serve warm with a side of tomatillo salsa
- Category: Vegan
- Cuisine: Kosher / American