Our friend Brigitte, owner and creator of the Sincerely Brigitte line of flavored cheeses, has been traveling the country for weeks, exploring the cuisines of each region.
While in Tennessee, she fell in love with a grits and goat cheese dish she found in a brunch menu in Knoxville. She asked us to create a recipe inspired by it, incorporating of course one of her fabulous cheeses.
Not being very familiar with the food from the South, we experimented with a few ingredients and came up with this dish, that turned up to be really delicious. The creamy texture and heartiness of the grits is just comforting and satisfying, and just like Brigitte, we have fallen in love with them.
And we hope you do too!
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup corn grits
- 1–7oz block Sincerely Brigitte Parsley and Chive cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12 cherry or grape Tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4–6 Eggs (optional)
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil
- Add 1 tsp salt
- Slowly add corn grits, stirring constantly and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes
- Add shredded cheese, reduce temperature to low and keep cooking for another 15 minutes. Cover the pot and let the grits sit
- In the meantime heat olive oil in a skillet. Add peas and tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium heat
- Prepare eggs sunny side up (one per person, cooked to desired doneness )
- Serve grits on individual bowls, topped with tomatoes, peas and egg (serve immediately)