These grilled vegetable tostadas are a great way to start your next BBQ or summer gathering. Crunchy, cheesy and bursting with flavor!
Confessions of a city girl: I’ve never mowed the lawn; I’ve never shoveled snow; I don’t like camping, or hiking, or anything that involves the absence of a working bathroom; and perhaps the most embarrassing fact, I don’t know how to turn on the grill.
There, I said it.
Growing up, the only chance we had to use the grill was during the summer, at the little place our parents had by the beach. And our dad was the one always in charge, so I never really learned how to do it.
Even now, whenever we host barbecues at home, my husband is around to take care of it. Which means, I never really had to do it myself… Until we came up with this recipe.
We had everything ready to go, when I realized that I had no idea how to turn on the grill. And don’t get me wrong, I’m pretty good at figuring things out myself. But when there is gas involved… I rather not take any chances. Yes, it sounds silly, I know. But better look silly than do something wrong and have the whole thing blow up in my face, right? Right.
So, I had to call my husband at work and have him walk me through it. It only took a few minutes and everything turned out ok. Well, except, I somehow burned the cover of the grill, but no big deal, right? Right.
Putting my grilling (or lack there of) skills aside, what really matters here is that we ended up with this awesome recipe that features some of our favorite local summer veggies. Grilled to perfection (if I may say so myself), topped with GO VEGGIE Sriracha Deli Slices, juicy Jersey tomatoes and chopped cilantro. All on a crispy, lightly fried seasoned corn tortilla.
This tostada has everything you’re looking for in an appetizer, in every bite: the crunchiness of the tortilla, the wonderful charred flavor of the grilled veggies, the sweetness and freshness of the tomatoes, and best of all, the creamy, slightly spicy cheesiness from the Deli Slices.
These GO VEGGIE Deli Slices are the perfect lactose and soy free cheese alternative. They’re melty and stretchy and with 40% less calories, 50% less saturated fat and 40% more calcium and gluten and cholesterol free, you will not miss regular cheese at all! And if you’re looking for a vegan alternative, try their Vegan Pepper Jack Singles. Just as delicious, and completely dairy free.
So go ahead, pick up your favorite veggies from your local market, fire up the grill (or have someone do it for you, whatever) and give this recipe a try.
- 1/2 green zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 yellow zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado or grapeseed oil
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 4 tsp chili lime seasoning (or your favorite seasoning, optional)
- 4 slices GO VEGGIE Sriracha Deli Slices
- 1 large tomato, chopped small
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Turn on the grill on high. Combine zucchini slices, olive oil, salt, cumin and black pepper in a large bowl and toss well. Grill on high, 2-3 minutes per side and set aside
- Line a baking sheet or a large plate with paper towels. Heat avocado or grapeseed oil in a non stick skillet. Place one corn tortilla and cook over medium high heat, 30 seconds to a minute per side until they crisp up. Transfer to the lined baking sheet or plate and sprinkle with a teaspoon of seasoning. Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas, adding more oil if necessary
- To assemble to tostada, arrange 4-5 slices of grilled zucchini on each tortilla. Place a slice of cheese on top, cover (you can use the grip cover or a heat prove bowl), lower the temperature of the grill to low and cook until the cheese has melted (time will vary depending on the grill)
- Top with chopped tomatoes and garnish with cilantro. Serve warm