- For the crust:
- 1 cup 1 to 1 gluten free flour (here we used Bob's Red Mil)
- 1/2 cup cashew meal
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 5 tbsp unsweetened vanilla cashew milk (here we used So Delicious
- For the cashew cream:
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp cashew butter
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Fresh fruit (here we used green and golden kiwi, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine flour, cashew meal, coconut oil, cashew butter, maple syrup and salt in a food processor. Pulse a few times until well combined
- Add cashew milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, and keep pulsing until it forms a dough. (Note: if the crumbs don't come together in the food processor, but they do when you pinch them with your fingers, place them on a floured surface and knead with your hands until it forms a soft dough)
- Press the dough evenly on a non-stick 11"x1.5" with removable bottom tart pan, so the dough comes up the sides of the pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Carefully prick the bottom and sides with a fork several times to avoid air bubbles while baking (you can also use pie weights if you have them)
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool
- In the meantime, prepare the cashew cream. In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup of cashew milk and maple syrup just until small bubbles start to appear on the sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1/2 cup cashew milk, corn starch and vanilla extract until well incorporated
- Off the heat, add corn starch mixture to warm milk. Bring saucepan back to the stove and cook the cream at medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens (this will happen quickly, in 30 to 45 seconds). Turn off heat and add cashew butter, mixing well until it's completely incorporated. Set aside to cool, but do not refrigerate. Cover the surface with plastic wrap (so it touches the cream)
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil (you can do this in the microwave, in 20 second increments stirring well each time). Pour melted chocolate over the cooled tart shell and refrigerate for a few minutes until the chocolate hardens (SEE NOTE)
- To assemble the tart, spread cooled cashew cream over chocolate covered tart bottom. Arrange fruit on top and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until the cream has set.
Adding a layer of melted chocolate on the bottom of the tart shell will keep it from getting soggy from the moisture of the cream. This step can be skipped, but keep in mind it might soften the tart shell.
Cashew meal, milk and butter can be substituted for almond if necessary
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Kosher / Vegan