February is Lactose Intolerance Awareness Month, and these vegan Easy Cheesy Pesto Rolls are the perfect way to celebrate!
GO VEGGIE is our go to brand of vegan cheese, and since it’s Lactose Intolerance Awareness Month, we thought this would be a great opportunity to show how you can still have some of your favorite comfort foods, even when food allergies and dietary restrictions exist!
We created these scrumptious and super easy stuffed rolls that will make you feel like they came from your favorite pizza place. And the best part is, you won’t even know they’re dairy free! So they can be enjoyed by everyone, even dairy eaters.
We simplified our recipe by using store bought vegan crescent roll dough, and filled it with vegan cream cheese, mozzarella Shreds and lots of garlic and basil. The Mozzarella Shreds are high in calcium and free of cholesterol, saturated fat and lactose. Plus, they’re lower in calories! Compared to dairy cream cheese, GO VEGGIE ‘s vegan version is lower in saturated fat and calories and also cholesterol and lactose free.
Serve them warm, with a side of your favorite tomato sauce… and forget the take out!
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Generously grease the bottom and sides of a jumbo muffin tin ( you can also use a regular size muffin tin)
- To prepare the filling, combine the cream cheese, Shreds, basil, olive oil, garlic and salt in the food processor and pulse until all the ingredients are well mixed
- Place a large piece of wax or parchment paper on the counter and flour it lightly. Unroll one tube of crescent roll dough over the floured paper, and roll it slightly with a rolling pin, just enough to seal the seams (leave the other one in the refrigerator in the meantime)
- Spread half of the filling over the dough, leaving about a half an inch border on the longer sides.
- Starting from the longer side closest to you, carefully roll up the dough while pressing it lightly (you can use the paper to help you). You will end up with a roll about 12 inches long. Using a serrated knife, cut the roll into 6 pieces, approximately 2 inches long.Transfer them to the greased muffin tin
- Repeat the process with the other tube of dough.
- Bake for 30 to 32 minutes or until golden brown