Coming up with a new, ingenious flavor of Hamantaschen is definitely not an easy task. Over the years we’ve seen so many different fillings (from sweet, to savory, to spicy) that no matter what idea we think of, chances are it has already been made.
These are some of our favorites!
So rather than reinventing the wheel, we’re going back to a classic combination that we’re pretty sure every one loves: peanut butter, chocolate and banana!
This super easy vegan dough is prepared in the food processor in just a few minutes, and you can use it as a base for your favorite of Hamantaschen flavor. Just make sure to handle it carefully, because it’s pretty soft and delicate. The baking time depends on whether you like them softer and chewier, or a little more crisp.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp grapeseed or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk or water
- 10 tsp all natural peanut butter, divided
- 10 tsp mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1 large banana, cut into 10 slices
- Optional garnish:
- Melted chocolate
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in the food processor and pulse 3 to 4 times. Add the coconut oil and pulse a few more times until it resembles coarse cornmeal
- Add the oil and maple syrup and pulse a few more times until well incorporated
- Add the milk, one tablespoon at a time, and process until the dough starts to come together ( start with 2 tablespoons and add one more if necessary). Transfer it to a lightly floured surface and roll the dough into a ball. Let it rest in the refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil
- Roll out the dough into a circle, about ¼ inch thick, on a lightly floured surface. Using a glass or a 31/2-inch cookie cutter, cut out as many rounds as you can. Re roll the dough, and continue cutting rounds until you have used all the dough (you should end up with approximately 10)
- Slightly stretch each round with your fingers and spoon about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter in the center. Add 1 teaspoon of chocolate chips and 1 slice of banana. Fold the sides up to form a triangle, pinching the 3 corners to seal the dough and leaving the banana exposed
- Transfer them to the lined baking sheet and bake on the top rack for 25 to 28 minutes until golden brown. Let them cool and drizzle with melted chocolate if desired