This Braised Fennel with Apricots and figs brings a nice combination of sweet and savory deliciousness. A side dish that will surely impress your guests. A really successful Vegan and Gluten Free Passover recipe that you can enjoy all year round!
Fennel is one of those vegetables that people either love or absolutely hate, mostly because of its strong licorice taste.
What most people don’t realize, however, is how much fennel changes once it’s cooked. That strong, licorice taste almost disappears, and all you’re left with is a sweet flavor and slightly buttery texture. And if you’re not convinced, check out this super simple recipe. It might make you change your mind!
Remove the fronds from the fennel. Cut the bulb in half, lengthwise, ad slice each half into 3 pieces
Season well on both sides, and arrange the slices in a large, deep skillet
Cook until the fennel is caramelized
Add orange juice, white wine and dried fruit
Simmer for 45 minutes and enjoy!
Other Fennel Recipes
- Stuffed Eggplant With Fennel & White Beans
- Persimmon Fennel Salad
- Pickled Fennel & Carrots
- Fennel, Blood Orange & Hazelnut Salad
- Fennel and Chickpea Stew
- Warm Roasted Fennel Salad for Two
This braised Fennel with Apricots and figs brings a nice combination of sweet and savory deliciousness. A side dish that will surely impress your guests. A really successful Vegan and Gluten Free Passover recipe that you can enjoy all year round!
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (fronds removed)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp seasoned or black pepper
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 10–12 dried apricots
- 8–10 dried figs, cut in half
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped (optional)
- Cut each fennel bulb in half, lengthwise, and slice each half in 3 pieces. Season with salt and pepper on both sides
- In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil. Arrange fennel pieces (you can crowd the pan because fennel will shrink). Cook over medium heat, 5 minutes on each side. Add orange juice, wine, apricots and figs and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes
- Garnish with pistachios (if using)
- Calories: 187
- Sugar: 18
- Sodium: 377
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 1.2
- Unsaturated Fat: 6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25.8
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 3.4
- Cholesterol: 0