Get ready to welcome delicious Sweet Onion & Apple Chutney to your table! Once you try this perfectly balanced gluten-free vegan spread, you’ll want to use it on every dish you make. It has a perfect sweet/savory balance that makes any dish feel special!
This Apple Chutney recipe is a great one to make if you have a lot of apples on hand! Their flavor really shines in a unique way and it’s a totally vegan, gluten-free topping to include in your favorite holiday dishes. You could mix it with soft cheese or vegan cream cheese to make a cracker dip, combine it with oil for a delicious glaze on your favorite protein...the sky’s the limit with a condiment this delicious!
What is Chutney?
Chutney is a thick condiment that was originally made in India, but it’s so delicious that people everywhere now make and enjoy it! Chutney usually includes a combination of fruits or vegetables, sugar, vinegar, and spices. They can be mild or hot and have a sweet and tangy flavor.
Ingredients in Chutney
There are no hard-and-fast rules for chutney ingredients. This Apple Chutney Recipe uses an onion and apple base with some sweet and tangy ingredients. You’ll see hundreds of different flavor combinations for every different kind of chutney you can imagine. Once you have the basic concept, experiment and have fun with it!
How to Make Chutney
Chutney is made over the stovetop, so prepare to spend a bit of time stirring and letting the apples cook until they’re softened! It’s a pretty easy and straightforward process that any home cook can do, and soon you’ll have flavorful apple chutney to include in all your favorite dishes.
How to Use Apple Chutney
Once you start brainstorming ways to use our apple chutney recipe you’ll want to put it on everything! We love a dollop of chutney on this cashew-crusted tofu or roasted cauliflower, serve it with crackers and cheese, or even on a sandwich, make a fancy grilled cheese with a little chutney! YUM!
More Delicious Condiments and Sauces
- Preserved Lemons
- Pesto Sauce
- Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- Pickled Onions
- Schug (A Hot Yemenite Condiment)
- Pear Chianti and Cranberry Chutney
Did you like this apple chutney recipe?
If you enjoyed this recipe. It would help us tremendously if you left us a star rating in the comments below or on the recipe card. Do you have any questions about the recipe or do you need a swap for any of the ingredients? We are here to help, just leave us a question in the comments below.Print
Get ready to welcome delicious Sweet Onion & Apple Chutney to your table! Once you try this perfectly balanced vegan spread, you’ll want to use it on every dish you make. It has a perfect sweet/savory balance that makes any dish feel special!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 medium granny smith apple, peeled and diced small
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp agave nectar, maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and salt and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until translucent. If the onions start to stick to the pan, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time to prevent them from burning
- Add the diced apple and continue cooking for 5-6 minutes
- Add the brown sugar, agave, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir well and cook for more 2 minutes
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes until the apples are soft and the onions caramelized, stirring occasionally
- Category: Condiment
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: gluten-free
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 81
- Sugar: 9.7
- Sodium: 77
- Fat: 3.6
- Saturated Fat: .5
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12.2
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: .5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: chutney, kosher, vegan, gluten-free