Dear Mother Nature,
We understand it’s winter. We know we live in the East Coast. But could you please send us just a couple of nice days for us to enjoy while our parents are here visiting? Come on, did we really need this arctic blast? Don’t you know we only get to see them a couple of times a year?
We don’t need 60 degrees, or blinding sunshine. All we ask for are temps above the teens so we can at least go outside without freezing to death.
Ok, maybe we shouldn’t be complaining, considering that other parts of the country are dealing with much worse… So we’ll follow our dad’s advise: “Al mal tiempo, buena cara” (which means, literally, “To bad weather, good face”) and try to make the best of it. And put him to work, while we’re at it.
So we found the perfect job for him: cleaning and prepping artichokes for this salad.
And if you’re thinking we’re being mean for giving him the job that no one really wants to do, think again! Anything that requires time, patience and meticulousness is right up his alley. He actually volunteers to do this kind of stuff. Like seeding pomegranates or washing greens. You name it, he’ll do it. How lucky are we??
Here’s a step-by-step of how to prep artichokes, brought to you by a pro
Cut across about 3/4 of the “flower” part of the artichoke, so you’re left with the base and some of the stem
Remove the outer leaves until you reach the lighter, paler ones. With a knife, peel off the outer layer of the stem
Using a sharp paring knife, carefully remove the “hairy” part of the heart until it’s completely clean
Place clean artichoke hearts in a bowl with water and fresh lemon
- 4 large fresh artichoke hearts (see instructions above)
- 1 large lemon, cut in half
- 10 olive oil cured black olives, pitted and cut in half
- 5 oil packed sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 5-6 chives chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- As you peel the artichokes, place each heart in a large bowl with water and lemon halves (lightly squeeze some of the juice into the bowl)
- Once they’re all clean and ready, cut them in thin slices and place them at the bottom of a salad platter
- Top with olives and sun dried tomatoes and chives. Season with salt and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Toss gently.
ENJOY! From May I have that recipe