Happy Monday everyone!
This is the beginning of a very exciting week for us. In about 24 hours, we’ll be on our way to the airport to pick up our parents! They will be staying with us for 3 weeks, which means, once again, we’ll be able to watch our mom work her magic in the kitchen. We already “warned” her that she wasn’t coming here on a vacation… she’s coming here to work! And she didn’t seem to mind at all. Actually, she was really excited to have a chance to be “on the internet” again. She was also really excited about joining us at our Healthy Eating Cooking Class Series we’ll be starting at The American Table next week. “I’ll be your sous-chef, she said. You gotta love it…
So to get this week started, here’s a dish that sort of reminds us of her. It’s our own version of her the roasted cauliflower she used to make when we were kids. She would serve it with “Mjadra” (rice and lentils) which goes really well with our version too. A complete, balanced meal for your Meatless Monday.
Vicky & Ruth
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into approximately 1inch slices
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 tsp sumac
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Brush both sides of each cauliflower steak with olive oil and sprinkle both sides with salt
- Place cauliflower slices on lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sumac
- Bake at 375F for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, until tender.
- Top with pomegranate seeds and a squeeze of fresh lemon right before serving
Sprinkle sumac on top right before roasting. Its lemony flavor compliments the cauliflower beautifully!