These chia seeds and lemon biscotti are crunchy, lemony and perfect to dip in your morning of afternoon coffee or tea
Of all the gazillion different cookies out there, Biscotti are probably one of our favorites. They’re crunchy, they’re (most of the time) light and the list of goodies that can be added to them is pretty much endless.
But the main reason we love these cookies so much is, once again, because they bring us right back to our childhood. Back to memories of our most favorite baker, our grandmother.
We’ve always thought of her as a second mother, even though we only got to see her once or twice a year. She used to spend most of the summers with us at the beach, taking care of us when our parents would go away on their kid-free vacation.
Having her there was just awesome. We had the best time together. We didn't need to do anything fancy or exciting, we just enjoyed spending time with her, listening to her stories and her always wise advice. She truly made us feel very special
We have the best memories of her baking the most delicious Biscotti like cookies, that she used to call "cake" (still not sure where the name came from!). Again, nothing fancy or complicated, just simple, plain cookies that tasted like a little piece of heaven. Then we would sit on the terrace in the afternoon and enjoy them with a nice cup of Turkish coffee, talking and staring at the beautiful beach across from us.
We can't bring back those precious moments but we will most definitely remember them forever...
Here's our little twist on our grandmother's "cake" recipe. Still simple and delicious. The only thing that could make them better would be having her here sharing them with us.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage, lukewarm (here we used So Delicious)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped raw cashews
- 2 tsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl
- Mix coconut beverage and chia seeds in a small bowl and set aside
- Cream coconut oil and brown sugar with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes, until fluffy. Add soaked chia seeds, lemon zest and vanilla extract and mix for another minute.
- Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Add cashews and mix with your hands or a wooden spoon
- Divide the dough in two pieces and form 2- 11inch x 2inch logs (try to keep the cashews in the dough and not the surface, so they're easier to cut). Sprinkle the top of each log with one teaspoon of sugar
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Slice into approximately 1/2 inch pieces. Reduce heat to 325, arrange the slices on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning the biscotti over half way through
- Let cool completely before serving