Spring is officially here. Definitely doesn’t fell like it, but it’s here! And along with it, comes a wonderful selection of delicious vegetable that we absolutely love working with. One of our very favorites? Asparagus. Growing up in Spain, our mom used to serve them very often. The white variety in particular is very popular, and in Spain it can be found all year long, jarred and preserved in water and salt. But the one thing that always comes to mind when we think of asparagus, is the soup that our mom used to serve. Probably one of the only few things she didn’t make from scratch. It came in a pouch, in powder form!! It was, however, really delicious. Almost as good as the ones they served in restaurants, believe it or not! Often, cream of asparagus soup, whether is home made, canned or in a powder, can be pretty heavy, since most of the time it’s made with cream and butter. We were able to create a lighter, dairy free version of it thanks, once again, to one of our go-to products, GO Veggie! Vegan Cream Cheese Alternative. It works beautifully here by adding great creaminess to the soup. We used the chive & garlic flavor, which adds a little extra flavor without being overpowering. And because it’s vegan, free of dairy, gluten and cholesterol; and lower in saturated fat and calories than dairy cream cheese, it’s the perfect option for anyone with dietary sensitivities or simply looking to improve their heart or overall health. For more information or to learn where yo can find GO Veggie! products, click here Enjoy!Print
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs asparagus
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon (if you’re using water)
- 1–8oz pack GO Veggie! Vegan Chive & Garlic Cream Cheese Alternative
- 24 asparagus tips
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or you can use any gluten free flour)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs (you can use gluten free Panko)
- Salt and lemon pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Chop asparagus in 2 inch pieces (make sure to discard the though bottom pieces and reserve 24 tips). Set aside
- In a large soup post, saute onions in olive oil at medium heat for 2 minutes. Add asparagus, season with salt and lemon pepper and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth or water, bring to a boil (at this point, you would add the bouillon, if using), cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the asparagus are very tender
- Transfer to a blender, add GO Veggie! Vegan Cream Cheese and lemon juice, and blend until smooth (you might need to so this in a couple of batches). Note: Be very careful while blending the hot soup because it might splash!
- Pour soup back into pot and simmer covered for 5-7 minutes.
- For the garnish:
- Place flour, almond milk and panko in 3 separate bowls. Season with some salt and lemon pepper
- Coat the asparagus tips in flour. Dip in almond milk and coat with panko bread crumbs. Heat olive oil in a non stick skillet, arrange the tips in one single layer and cook at medium heat for 2-3 minute until golden brown, turning them over half way through