Ok, so it's confession time again. BLTs. We've never had them. Never.
I mean, it kinda makes, sense since we don't eat bacon... and we're pretty sure they're an American thing, since we don't remember ever seeing BLTs on restaurant menus in Spain (at least not when we grew up!), right??
They do sound good though. Bread, lettuce, tomato, topped with something crispy and smokey... how bad can it be? Well, we'll never know. So, of course, our only choice is trying to recreate it as well as we can. Something we've gotten pretty good at , if we do say so ourselves!
It's just a matter of finding the right ingredients.
Tempeh makes the perfect substitute for bacon, because of it's "meaty" consistency. It also crisps up very well, and by adding the right spices, the smokey, crispy effect can be easily achieved.
By adding the layer of mashed avocado, we sort of "make up" for the fat missing from the real bacon. It also adds creaminess and a touch of tang from the lime juice, which complements the crunch of the bread.
Now, whether you wanna call it a Vegan BLT, or a TLT , or simply vegan toast, it's totally up to you. It will still be delicious and satisfying, perfect for a light lunch or snack this summer.
- 4oz tempeh, sliced thin
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Hass avocado, slightly firm
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves, washed and thoroughly dried
- 4 slices multigrain rustic bread, lightly toasted
- To prepare the "bacon", combine smoked paprika, cumin, pepper and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle one side of the tempeh slices with half of the spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large non stick skillet. Arrange tempeh slices in one single layer, spice side down. Sprinkle the remaining spice mixture. Cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes, until golden brown. Turn the slices over and continue cooking for another minute or so (keep an eye so they don't burn). Remove from heat and transfer the tempeh slices to a plate lined with a paper towel, to absorb any excess oil. Set aside to cool slightly
- In the meantime, prepare the avocado. Cut it in half, remove the pit and scoop out the flesh. Mash it with a for until creamy. Add lime juice and salt and mix well
- To assemble the toast, Spread avocado each slice of bread. Top with lettuce, tomato and tempeh
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Kosher / Vegan