Someone once told me I should be a professional problem solver. It sounds like a pretty cool job, doesn't it?
We've all heard the saying that goes "Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life". And I don't disagree, but I lean more towards the philosophy of doing what you're really good at in order to be successful.
Problem-solving is something I've always been good at for some reason. It also happens to be something I genuinely enjoy doing, which I guess makes me a pretty lucky individual. I don't know, there's something extremely satisfying about the feeling of accomplishment you get when finding the solution to a problem. Especially, when you're helping people in the process.
That must be why doing what we call recipe "makeovers" is one of the things I enjoy the most about being a food blogger. Part of my job is figuring out how to change traditional recipes, so people with any type of dietary restriction can enjoy it. And this time of year particularly, with so many food-centered holidays approaching, we get lots of requests them.
This Mushroom And Veggie Sausage Pasta dish is a great example. It works very well as a weeknight dinner, but it's also a great meatless dish you can serve if you have any vegetarian or vegan guests during the holidays (you'll see dairy and dairy-free options in the recipe below). The best part is, everyone will love it!
Looking for any particular recipe you would like to makeover? Let us know! Leave us a comment or send us an email. We're here to help!
Other Pasta Recipes You Must Try:
- Rigatoni with lentil bolognese
- Tagliatelle with Mushroom Ragu and Swiss Chard
- Penne Pasta With Vegan Cauliflower & Kale Walnut Pesto
- High Protein Caprese Pasta Salad
- High Protein Pasta Puttanesca
- Pea and Artichoke Pasta
- One-Pot Chickpea And Butternut Squash Pasta
Did you like Mushroom and Veggie Sausage Pasta ? Scroll down to the comments and leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!Print
This Mushroom And Veggie Sausage Pasta dish works very well as a weeknight dinner, but it's also a great meatless dish you can serve if you have any vegetarian or vegan guests during the holidays. You'll see dairy and dairy-free options in the recipe. The best part is, everyone will love it!
- 1 lb short pasta (here we used a pumpkin shaped pasta )
- 1 lb baby bella or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil , divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 Spicy Meatless Italian Sausages sliced
- For the Bechamel:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (you can also use butter or coconut oil)
- 2 tbsp unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 cups low fat milk or plain unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- 1 tbsp powdered vegetable bouillon or nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan to taste (optional)
- Chopped parsley (optional)
- Cook pasta following al dente cooking directions on the package. Reserve 1/4 cup of cooking liquid, drain and set aside
- While the pasta cooks, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil ina large skillet. Add mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until all the water has evaporated. Set aside
- Using the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add sliced sausage and cook over medium heat, 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- To make the béchamel, heat olive oil in a soup pot. Add flour and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until it starts to brown. Add milk, vegetable bouillon or nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, whisking constantly until it thickens
- Add cooked pasta, mushrooms, sausage and reserved pasta water. Cook for about a minute and serve immediately. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thanksgiving