January is definitely an interesting month. After dedicating the time from Thanksgiving to New Years Eve to indulging in food and drinks with family and friends, we decide we want to make our lives better. Whether that means more work, less work, better grades, learn a new language, or something else entirely, we have all been there.
As we all know, three of the more popular, but frequently broken, New Years resolutions are to lose weight, eat healthier and exercise more. Unfortunately, we can’t help you get to the gym more often in 2016…. but what we can do is offer you some healthy eating alternatives. Not that we don’t do that already throughout the year, but today we want to share a cozy, warm, comforting recipe that will help get you through the cold months ahead while making you feel good about it.
This quinoa bake is packed with flavor AND nutrients. Beans and quinoa make it plant protein and fiber rich; kale, corn, tomatoes, onions and garlic not only add color and flavor to the dish, but also lots vitamins and minerals. And because nothing screams comfort food like cheese does, we’re adding all the gooey, cheesy goodness to this dish by using GO VEGGIE Vegan Mexican Style Shreds. Melty and stretchy, calcium rich, vegan, cholesterol free and lower in saturated fat and calories than regular cheese.
Is your mouth watering yet??Print
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1–28oz can diced tomatoes, drained (reserve the liquid)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 3 dashes green dragon sauce (optional)
- 1– 15.5oz can pinto beans
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1–8oz bag GO VEGGIE Vegan Mexican Style Shreds
- Bring water to boil in a medium size saucepan. Add alt and quinoa, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15-18 minutes. Drain well and set aside
- Preheat oven to 375F. Coat a 10.5 x 7 baking dish with cooking spay
- In a large non stick skillet, heat olive oil. Cook onion over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add kale and cook for 2 minutes until it starts to wilt. Add garlic and continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and green dragon sauce (if using). Season with salt and pepper, cook for 5 more minutes and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, beans, corn, kale mixture, 1 cup reserved tomato liquid and 1/2 of vegan Shreds. Transfer to the baking dish and bake for 45 minutes
- Remove form the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake for 3 more minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve warm