Yes, you read correctly. Breakfast salad! What better way to start the day than with all the nutrients you need to energize your body?
Have we piqued your curiosity yet? Good. But before we get to all the reasons this breakfast salad makes total sense, allow us to rant for just a second.
Ok so, what's up with people not wanting to help other people? In general, yes, but we're talking about the internet/blogging world, specifically. We've been blogging for almost 7 years now. We've met a lot of people along the way (both virtually and in-person), and we've always felt like we are part of a community of some sort. And because of that, we've occasionally reached out for advice or help in areas we thought needed some improvement. We never thought twice before asking because, being part of a community, we should all help each other, we're all in this together. It's. What. You. Do.
A lot of times, that has been true. A lot of times, we've gotten responses like "yes, of course, anything you need, happy to help". Other times, however, quite the opposite. Interestingly enough, it has happened with some of the "bigger" bloggers. And it was disappointing. Not because they wouldn't help us. But because they weren't willing to help, period.
We've always wondered why that is. The internet is big enough for all of us. It's the World Wide Web. The name says it all. Our success is not going to take away from yours. People can follow us and still follow you. No one is going to steal your followers away. People can buy our book, and still, be totally in love with yours. So why. Why not give back, when you have the opportunity to do so? If anyone can answer that, please feel free to leave us a comment.
So, to everyone out there reading this. Whether you're a follower, a fellow blogger, or someone thinking about starting a blog. We just want to say that we're here for you. Whatever little advice or knowledge we can offer, we're happy to share it. Your success is our success. Reach out anytime, and we promise you, we will do our best to help you. And if we are not able to help, we'll suggest someone else who might. All we ask is that someday, you pay it forward.
Ok, rant over.
Let's go back to this breakfast salad, shall we?
The idea came to us after reading this article on Huffington Post. And it made total sense!
Think about it. If breakfast is the most important meal of the day, why not pack it up with as many nutrients as possible? We have veggies, some fruit, protein, carbs, and healthy fats. It's filling and full of fiber, so you don't get a hanger attack mid-morning while sitting on your desk.
For our breakfast salad, we chose cabbage and shredded carrots (both full of fiber and antioxidants). Our protein of choice? Edamame. Our fruit, pomegranate (another nutritional powerhouse), and for our dressing, a super flavorful combo of orange juice, peanut butter, and a touch of ginger.
You can get creative and make your own using your favorite ingredients. All you need for a nutrient pack, killer salad is:
- Your favorite combo of veggies or greens
- A source of carbs ( you can do corn like we did, peas, beans, quinoa, rice noodles, etc)
- Your favorite protein
- Your favorite fruit ( try citrus fruits in the wintertime for a boost of vitamin C)
- A source of healthy fat (nuts, seeds, shredded coconut, etc)
- A nutritious dressing that isn't packed with fat and sugar (homemade is always best!). Try using nut butters or almond Greek yogurt as a base and herbs and seasonings for a punch of flavor
Give it a try and see how you feel during the day. Prepare a big batch, and you'll have your lunch and dinner ready, too!
Sold on the idea? Not quite? Let us know!
Did you like this breakfast salad? Leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us a comment on Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!Print
With this breakfast salad, you will eat the colors of the rainbow, which is the healthiest way to eat! Enjoy!
- 2 ½ cups shredded purple cabbage (freshly shredded or store-bought )
- 3 cups shredded carrots, about 3 large carrots (freshly shredded or store-bought )
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 5 Persian cucumbers, diced ( about 2 ½ cups)
- 1-12 oz bag frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- Peanut Dressing
- ⅔ cup orange juice
- ⅔ cup all-natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss well
- To prepare the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- Serving Size: 2 cups, with dressing
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 19.2
- Sodium: 158.2
- Fat: 18
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 37.1
- Fiber: 8.1
- Protein: 14.7
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: salad, breakfast, entree, peanut butter, vegan, gluten free, recipe