We have a confession to make: that peanut butter and chocolate combo most people love, well… we really don’t care for it. And maybe it’s because growing up, we didn’t have peanut butter in Spain, I don’t know. But neither one of us can have peanut butter with something super sweet, like chocolate. Peanut butter cups?? No thank you. We need something tart, like an all fruit raspberry jelly or something like that. Our families cannot understand how that’s possible, but that’s the way it is!
Here’s another confession: we don’t care for cheesecake either. Nothing against it, but we feel it’s way too rich and heavy and quite honestly, knowing the amount of cream cheese, sugar and eggs that most recipes call for, makes it hard to really enjoy it.
At this point you probably must be thinking that what we just said makes no sense at all. I mean, we are, after all, sharing a recipe for peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake!
Here’s the thing though: this, is a different kind of cheesecake. Still a treat, and still rich, no doubt. But because it is not overly sweet and we have eliminated the dairy ingredients and eggs, we feel a little bit better about it. Less fat, no cholesterol? Yeah, much better!! Also, the peanut butter taste is definitely noticeable, but it’s not overpowering.
- 1 lb cinnamon graham crackers or 3 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 – 8oz packages of Go Veggie! Plain Cream Cheese Alternative
- 2 – 12.3oz packs shelf-stable lite firm silken tofu
- 1/2 cup all natural crunchy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chunks (we used Enjoy Life )
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup vegan mini chocolate chips ( We used Enjoy Life)
- Place graham crackers in the food processor. Pulse until they turn into fine crumbs. Set aside 1 1/4 cups Add melted coconut oil to the crumbs in the food processor and pulse to 5mix well. Press onto bottom of a 9-inch springform pan, making sure it comes up the sides and place it in the freezer until ready to use
- Combine non-dairy cream cheese and tofu in the food processor and mix until well incorporated. Take half of the mixture and set it aside
- Add peanut butter and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar to the cream cheese/tofu mixture that’s in the food processor and pulse until it’s well mixed. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use
- Melt chocolate chunks (by placing a heat proof bowl over simmering water or in the microwave, in 20 second increments and stirring often)
- Place the remaining cream cheese/tofu mixture, melted chocolate, cocoa and 3 tablespoons of sugar in the food processor. Mix until well combined
- To assemble the cheese cake, pour one of the cream cheese/tofu mixtures over the crust (here we did the peanut butter layer first, but you can do either one), sprinkle the reserved graham cracker crumbs on top and add the remaining mixture. Garnish with mini chocolate chips and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. For a firmer consistency, place the cheesecake in the freezer for a few hours and move to the refrigerator about an hour before serving