Surprise Mom with breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day! These Vegan Whole Wheat Pancakes With Lemon Cashew Ricotta are easy, elegant and delicious.
Wait, scratch that. Moms deserve to feel special every day. They deserve to be pampered, and taken care of and most of all, they deserve to be loved, every second of every day. Does everyone agree? Shouldn’t we make them feel special all throughout the year?
So you can surprise her with breakfast in bed any day, when she least expects it. Starting like, today.
These pancakes are vegan, made with whole wheat flour and super easy to prepare. The lemon cashew ricotta? Super simple too. All you need really is a food processor… and the patience to wait 30 minutes for the cashews to soak.
And if you need a foolproof way to show her your love and appreciation, try one of these:
- A hug
- A kiss
- A simple phone call
- A lunch date on a random tuesday
- A simple thank you when she gives you unsolicited advice
- For the lemon cashew ricotta:
- 1 cups boiling water
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- Pinch of salt
- For the pancakes:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk, lukewarm
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Berries and maple syrup
- To prepare the ricotta, combine the boiling water and cashews in a heat proof bowl and letthem soak for 30 minutes. Drain well
- Combine the soaked cashews. nutritional yeast, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt in the food processor and pulse until it has the consistency of ricotta cheese (small curd). Refrigerate until ready to use
- To prepare the pancakes, combine the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, coconut oil, lemon juice and maple syrup. Pour it over the flour mixture and mix until just combined (do not overmix)
- Heat a non stick skillet over medium low heat and brush it lightly with oil or cooking spray. Add about ¼ cup batter and spread it slightly. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until some bubbles start to form on the surface. Carefully flip it over and cook for another minute. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter
- Serve with lemon cashew ricotta, berries and maple syrup to taste