Sweet and delicious, our caramel apple vegan cupcakes are perfect for autumn picnics, tailgate and football parties, and anytime your family is looking for a fall apple treat.
Caramel apples are one of our favorite autumn treats, and vegan caramel apples – in the form of cupcakes – are even better!
We start off by preparing our vegan cupcake batter with pieces fresh Granny Smith apples, then place a hidden vegan caramel inside each cupcake before baking. The apples keep the cake sweet and steeped with crisp apple flavor.
Creamy Vegan Frosting and Caramel
Our creamy frosting has just a hint of sweetness for a perfect complement to the apple cake. We make the vegan frosting with raw cashews that have been soaked then blended in a food processor until smooth. After frosting, we top each cupcake with a vegan caramel and a slice of fresh apple. One bite, and you’ll think that that you just left the orchard!
How Do You Make Vegan Caramel?
No matter how you make your caramel, you’ll be amazed at the delicious results and will come back to this recipe again and again.
Here are our top two ways to make vegan caramel to drizzle over your caramel apple vegan cupcakes:
- Our Home-made Vegan Caramel is delicious and you’ll no doubt find more than a few creative uses for this confection. Our families enjoy a drizzle over pancakes, yogurt, fresh fruit, and croissants.
- Shortcut Method: Save time (and begin eating your cupcakes sooner!) by simply melting some vegan caramels with a couple of tablespoons of dairy-free milk.
Did you like these vegan cupcakes ? Leave us a rating! Did you love it? Share it or leave us comment on Twitter or Facebook! Wanna see more? Subscribe to our blog and remember to follow us on Pinterest!
Sweet and delicious, our caramel apple vegan cupcakes are perfect for autumn picnics, tailgate and football parties, and anytime that your family is looking for a fall apple treat.
- For the frosting:
- 1 cup chopped raw cashews, soaked in cold water overnight or in boiling water for 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 3-4 tbsp confectioner's sugar (to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the cupcake batter:
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 ¾ cup self-rising flour (see note)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil (or vegetable oil)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar (we use Wholesome Sweeteners)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup unsweetened cashew, almond or coconut milk, lukewarm
- 1 medium granny smith apple, cored, peeled and diced small
- 22 vegan caramels
- 2 tbsp non dairy milk
- Apple slices for garnish (optional)
- To prepare the frosting, drain the cashews and place them in the food processor with the coconut oil and one tablespoon of milk. Process until smooth, making sure to scrape the sides occasionally (add the remaining tablespoon of milk if necessary). Add the sugar and vanilla, and process again until well incorporated. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use
- To prepare the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 400F. Place 12 muffin liners on a muffin tin pan and coat them with cooking spray
- In a small bowl, combine ground flax seeds and water. Set aside
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut and grapeseed oil, brown sugar and maple syrup, until smooth. Pour the flax mixture and lukewarm milk and continue whisking until well incorporated
- Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in diced apples
- Fill the liners ⅔ of the way (we like using an ice cream scoop) and place a caramel in the center of each cupcake. Press them down lightly and bake at 400F for 20-23 minutes. Let them cool completely
- While the cupcakes cool, melt the remaining 10 caramels in a small saucepan with one tablespoon of milk, whisking constantly (add the remaining tablespoon of milk if it's too thick)
- To assemble the cupcakes, spread or pipe the frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes, place an apple slice on each one and drizzle with caramel
You can make your own self-rising flour by combining 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 23.2
- Sodium: 194.3
- Fat: 16.6
- Saturated Fat: 6.9
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 45.4
- Fiber: 1.4
- Protein: 4.5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: apple, cupcakes, vegan, caramel, dessert,