The combination of coffee and dark chocolate is probably one of the most delicious, comforting and satisfying you can find. We grew up surrounded by little gourmet coffee shops in Barcelona. And pretty much all of them serve their coffee with a little piece of good quality dark chocolate. Rich, creamy and slightly bitter, that slowly melts in your mouth after every sip.
When we first discovered So Delicious’s new coconut milk ice coffee drink, Cococcino, we couldn’t wait to give it a try and come up with some creations. Sweet and with an intense coffee flavor, it’s the perfect beverage to cool you off on a hot summer day, straight out of the carton or blended with ice.
Naturally, we had to go with the chocolate/coffee combo and take it to the next level by creating a coffee flavored cookie. And since biscotti are by far our favorite type of cookie, that’s what we went for. Dipped in chocolate, of course!
We put an extra thick layer of chocolate on these biscotti, because we like to dunk them in hot coffee. So some of the chocolate melts in the coffee, and some stays in the cookie. For a double bite of chocolatey goodness 🙂
- 2 1/2 cups white/whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup your favorite coconut or almond milk coffee beverage, lukewarm.
- 3 tsp instant coffee (you can add more for a more intense coffee flavor)
- 3 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tap natural vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- For dipping:
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl
- Combine coconut coffee beverage, instant coffe and flax seeds in a small bowl and set aside
- Using an electric mixer, cream together coconut oil and sugar for 2-3 minutes. Slowly pour flax mixture and vanilla and mix for one more minute
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Fold in chopped hazelnuts using a wooden spoon or your hands
- Turn the dough into a clean, lightly floured surface. Using your hands, form a 9 inch long by 4 inch wide log. Transfer it to the lined baking sheet and bake at 350F for 32-35 minutes
- Remove the log from the oven and reduce temperature to 300F
- Once the log has cooled, cut it into approximately 24 slices. Arrange them over the lined baking sheet and return to the 300F oven for 35 more minutes
- Once the biscotti have cooled completely, they are ready to be dipped in chocolate. Melt chocolate chips over on a double boiler or in the microwave ( at 20 second intervals, stirring often). Stir in coconut oil until well combined. Dip each biscotti half way in chocolate a couple of times, carefully shaking the excess. Place them on a try lined with parchment, and refrigerate until the chocolate hardens