We put an extra thick layer of chocolate on these hazelnut & coffee vegan biscotti because we like to dunk them in hot coffee. So some of the chocolate melts in the coffee and some of it stays in the cookie. For a double bite of chocolatey goodness 🙂
The combination of coffee and dark chocolate is probably one of the most delicious, comforting and satisfying you can find. We grew up surrounded by little gourmet coffee shops in Barcelona. And pretty much all of them serve their coffee with a little piece of good quality dark chocolate. Rich, creamy and slightly bitter, that slowly melts in your mouth after every sip.
There are so many vegan coffee drinks made with plant-based milks available, that we decided to use a coffee-based drink to make these chocolate-dipped vegan biscotti recipe.
Naturally, we had to go with the chocolate/coffee combo and take it to the next level by creating a coffee-flavored cookie. And since biscotti are by far our favorite type of cookie, that's what we went for. Dipped in chocolate, of course!Print
- 3 flax eggs (½ cup unsweetened plant-based milk, mixed with 3 tbsp ground flax seeds) Alternatively, you can use 3 large eggs.
- ¼ cup plant-based milk, lukewarm
- 2 tbsp espresso powder or instant coffee
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ cup neutral-tasting oil such as grape seed, or sunflower oil.
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped. Learn how to roast hazelnuts.
- For dipping:
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl combine ½ cup plant-based milk with ground flax seeds, mix well and set aside. If you are using regular eggs beat them and set them aside.
- In a separate bowl combine lukewarm plant-based milk with espresso powder, and vanilla, mix well, and set aside.
- Combine flour, dried cherries, baking powder, cardamom, and salt in a medium bowl
- Using an electric mixer, cream oil and sugar for 2-3 minutes. Slowly pour the flax eggs or regular eggs one at a time.
- Add the coffee mixture and whisk for one more minute
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Fold in chopped hazelnuts.
- Turn the dough into a clean, lightly floured surface. Using your hands, form a 9"x 4"-inch log. Transfer it to the lined baking sheet and bake at 350F for 30 minutes
- Remove the log from the oven and reduce the temperature to 300F
- Once the biscotti log has cooled, cut it into approximately 24 slices. Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet and return to the 300F oven for an additional 35 minutes.
- Once the biscotti have cooled completely, they are ready to be dipped in chocolate.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler or in the microwave ( at 20-second intervals, stirring every 20 seconds)
- Dip each biscotti halfway in chocolate a couple of times, carefully shaking the excess. Place them on a tray lined with parchment, and refrigerate until the chocolate hardens.
- Once the chocolate is set, place the biscotti in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Category: Dessert