This jewel-colored beet hummus takes an ordinary meal into an absolutely striking spread when served with fresh crudités, pita triangles, or your favorite crusty bread.
1 medium-large beet, trimmed ( or 1 medium-large store-bought cooked beet) (See Note 1)
1 – 15 ounce can of chickpeas
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
Black sesame seeds
- If using a fresh beet, preheat oven to 400F. Wrap it in aluminum foil and place it on a baking sheet. Cook for one hour or until tender (See Note 2)
- Remove the beet from the oven and let it cool. Rub the skin off and dice it into medium size pieces
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. You may need to add more water, one tablespoon at a time, to achieve the desired consistency
- In order to save time, store-bought cooked beets may be used, but please note that the color of the beet hummus won’t be as vibrant.
- Since beets take a while to cook, we recommend cooking several beets, and add them to salads or eat them as a side, dressed with some salt, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 55
- Sugar: 1.1
- Sodium: 115
- Fat: 2.7
- Saturated Fat: 0.3
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Fiber: 1.7
- Protein: 2.3
- Cholesterol: 0