Pan con tomate is a simple yet delicious tapa from Barcelona. Toasted bread, with fresh grated tomatoes, olive oil, and salt. Comfort food Barcelona Style!
- Ciabatta, Baguette or Crusty Rustic Bread, as much as you need
- Ripe, flavorful tomatoes
- Garlic cloves (optional)
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- See Note regarding amounts
- Toast or grill the bread
- Grate tomatoes in a large bowl (See Note 4)
- Lightly rub the toasted bread with a garlic clove (if using garlic)
- Drizzle bread with olive oil
- Spread the grated tomato over the bread
- Add salt to taste
- Enjoy plain or with your favorite topping (some of our favorites are tortilla de patatas and Manchego cheese)
- Use as much bread, tomatoes, olive oil and salt as you need, depending on how many people you have at your table
- If you like fresh garlic, peel and cut a clove of garlic in half and rub it on the toasted bread.
- You may grate the tomatoes one day ahead and keep in a glass airthight container in the fridge. We wouldn’t recommend grating the tomatoes more than one day ahead.
- Drizzle olive oil and spread the tomato right before serving, to prevent the bread from getting soggy. You can also place the toasted bread in tray next to a bowl of grated tomatoes, some peeled garlic cloves a good bottle of olive oil and some salt. Let each person build their own ” pan con tomate “.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: raw
- Cuisine: Spain
- Serving Size: 1/2 ciabatta bun
- Calories: 136
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 223
- Fat: 3.7
- Saturated Fat: .8
- Unsaturated Fat: 1.8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 5.2
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: pan con tomate, bread, tomatoes, garlic, appetizer, summer, Spain, tapas,