Enjoy this light and delicious Asian Cucumber Salad. It's a bright, fresh addition to any meal. Thinly sliced cucumbers are tossed with sesame seeds, ginger, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and a touch of heat.
- 5 Persian cucumber or 1 large seedless English cucumber
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp agave syrup, you may use maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari if gluten-free
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger ( about 1 1/2" piece)
- 1/2 tsp sriracha, add more or less to taste and to control the heat level
- 3/4 tsp garlic chili paste
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds, white sesame seeds, or a combination of the two
- Cut the cucumbers into thin slices and place them in a large bowl
- To prepare the dressing mix the remaining ingredients (except for the sesame seeds) in a jar with a tight lid. Shake well until well combined. Alternatively, you can whisk all the dressing ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
- Add dressing and sesame seeds to the cucumbers, toss and store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Salad Variations:
- Use red pepper flakes to control the heat if you are not a fan of sriracha.
- Chop fresh cilantro or other fresh herbs for a nice twist in flavor.
- Sprinkle the salad with roasted peanuts instead of sesame seeds.
- Add small diced red onion or scallions (green onion).
This post was originally published on July 24, 2015
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 90
- Sugar: 4.9
- Sodium: 684
- Fat: 6.5
- Saturated Fat: 0.9
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7.9
- Fiber: 0.8
- Protein: 1.4
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: kosher, gluten-Free, low calorie