No one seems to want to turn on the oven or the stove these days, and I can’t say I blame them! It’s sunny, it’s warm… who wants to be stuck in a hot kitchen?
For those of us living on the East Coast, summer is short and we try to make the most of it. I personally like to spend as much time as I can outside, biking with the kids and enjoying the beach and the pool.
And when it comes to food, fruits and vegetables are abundant, fresh, colorful and bursting with flavor. And best of all, they don’t need much preparation to be awesome. I am always happy just enjoying some fresh cut cucumbers and tomatoes and a small plate of Labneh drizzled with good olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and za’atar (oh and if you don’t know what Labneh is, click here for a recipe from Saveur magazine, and here for an easier one from David Lebovitz! Or… you can buy a quart at your local Whole Foods Market, whih is even easier 😉 )
If you’re anything like me and don’t feel like spending time in a hot kitchen, there are plenty of no-cook recipes available online. This past weekend BuzzFeed Food posted a roundup titled “29 Meat-Free Meals You Can Make Without Your Stove” ( did I mention our vegan chicken salad recipe was featured??). So take a look, you’ll find really great recipes there!
These Vegan Summer Rolls with Peanut Coconut Dipping Sauce are one of our favorite quick and easy summer recipes. Perfect when you need something light and healthy, but also satisfying and packed with flavor. It’s not a totally “stove-free” recipe, because the tofu does need some cooking, but it’s so minimal, that you won’t even sweat it (no pun intended!)
Rolling these takes a little bit of practice, since the wrappers are so thin and fragile, but don’t worry if they’re don’t look perfect. They will still be absolutely delicious 🙂
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 Persian cucumbers, cut into long strips
- 1 Hass avocado, slightly firm, sliced (squeeze lemon juice to avocado to avoid turning brown)
- 8 oz extra firm, high protein tofu (here we used Trader Joe's brand)
- a bunch of pea sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, cilantro, or parsley
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ½ tsp salt
- 8 round rice paper sheets
- ½ lemon
- Warm water
- For the Peanut Coconut Sauce
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp coconut milk ( here we used So Delicious Culinary Coconut Milk )
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp diced hot cherry peppers
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Cut tofu into 8 slices, and cut each slice in half. Dust with 1 tablespoon of corn starch and ½ tsp salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a non stick skillet and cook tofu, over medium-low heat, 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside to cool slightly
- Place warm water in a round pie dish, insert rice paper sheets just to soften them and carefully take them out.
- Place rice paper on a plate or cutting board and arrange 2 pieces of tofu, some carrots, cucumber strips, sprouts and avocado in the center. Roll as shown in the picture.
- To prepare the coconut peanut sauce, whisk all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Cut rolls in half before serving and serve with coconut peanut sauce.