Ever had one of those days when nothing seems to go right? Like, it starts off the wrong way and things just keep happening? I call them “soup days”. Days when all you want to do is curl up on the couch, with a blanket and a hot bowl of soup.
Yesterday, was one of those days for me. Things just kept going wrong, one after the next. It was almost like a one of those comedies you watch and keep thinking “Gosh, what next??”. Except, it wasn’t funny.
My “soup day” actually started the night before, when I had some kind of allergic reaction to a new moisturizer I used on my face. So I ended up teaching a HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) class in front of 16 people, with an itchy, blotchy face. Luckily that got better after I got home and thoroughly washed my face! The next morning, I taught my Tuesday morning cycling class which, I must say, went well as usual. Mostly because of the awesome people who attend and the amazing energy they bring to the room. Felt pretty good after that one, no complaints there. Then the day pretty much went down hill from there.
For your entertainment, these are some of the things that happened:
- My laptop charger almost caught on fire. I’m lucky I didn’t fry it and burned down the coffee shop
- That lead to the usual frustrating / aggravating / time wasting visit to the Apple store
- That lead to a second frustrating / aggravating / time wasting visit to a different Apple store
- Which left me with very little time to change to go teach my second cycling class, at a new gym
- To which I arrived with plenty of time to get familiar with the sound system, microphone, introduce myself, etc… just to realize I had left my laptop at home
- Which meant I had to rush home to get it… Surprisingly making it with 2 minutes to spare, but without a clue of how to even turn on the sound system and consequently looking like a complete airhead in front of 13 people I didn’t know
Oh and as a bonus, when I finally got home, I realized that the maintenance guys that were supposed to come into my apartment to check out the clogged drain in my bathroom, “fixed” the wrong sink
If that wasn’t a “soup day”, i don’t know what is.
But, as someone kindly reminded me, if that’s the worst that happens, it’s not that bad. But hey, it’s a good excuse to enjoy a warm cup of hearty soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup split peas
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon (use if you're not using vegetable broth)
- Natural liquid smoke (optional)
- In a large soup pot, saute onions in olive oil at medium heat for about 2 minutes until translucent. Add sliced carrots, reduce heat, cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add water or broth and bring to a boil. Add split peas, salt, smoked paprika, bouillon and liquid smoke (if using)
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes, until the split peas are tender