So, not only the Holidays are fast approaching. The school year is too. The kids actually start next week and quite frankly, we’re not ready for it. At all.
We’ve been putting off going out to buy school supplies for weeks. I think we hid the list the day we got it and have been ignoring it ever since… Which means by now the stores will be almost out of everything, and the trip is going to be even more dreadful… But now, we have no choice. No more procrastinating! Time to suck it up and do it.
But looking at the bright side, we’re not ALL that unprepared for school! When it comes to food, we’re on top of the game… as expected. Starting with these granola bars.
You’ll be amazed how easy they are to make! And the best part, you can “customize” them, by adding your favorite ingredients. We love this Goji berry and pistachio combination. We also love dark chocolate, walnuts and dried cranberries. And how about pumpkin seeds, raisins and almonds? The combinations are endless!
So go ahead, have fun with it! And if you would like to share your creations with us, we’re all ears
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange oats in a single layer and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, keeping an eye so they don’t burn. Set aside to cool
- Transfer oats to a large bowl. Add chopped pistachios and flax seeds and toss well
- In a small sauce pan, combine honey or agave with vanilla extract and coconut oil. Cook over medium low hear, stirring constantly until the coconut oil has melted. Whisk in almond butter and and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes until well incorporated.
- Remove from heat and add Goji berries. Pour mixture over oats and mix well with a wooden spoon, making sure they are well coated
- Coat a 11inx7in non stick baking pan with cooking spray. Transfer oat mixture evenly, pressing it well into the pan (the more you press it, the better the bars will stick together!). Refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours), remove from pan and cut into bars. Makes about 12 bars (depending on the size you want them). Keep the bars refrigerated