Crunchy and delicious julienne shredded zucchini gets enhanced with fresh basil and nutty pine nuts.
- 4 small yellow zucchini
- 1 large green zucchini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 3 1/2 tbsp raw pine nuts
- 1–2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- Using a julienne peeler, cut long strips of zucchini, until you reach the seeded core (where it becomes too soft to peel). Reserve the cores to use in soups, stir fries, etc (See Note)
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large non stick pan. Add zucchini, grated garlic, salt and pepper and cook at medium heat for 5-10 minutes ( the times depends on the texture you prefer. For firmer, “crunchier” zucchini, cook for less time). Remove from heat and place in a shallow bowl
- Add pine nuts to the pan and toast for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, tossing often (pay close attention to the pine nuts as they can easily burn!). Add to cooked zucchini
- Sprinkle chopped basil and lemon zest (if using) and drizzle remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
If you don’t have a julienne peeler, use a regular vegetable peeler to make wider ribbons. You’ll have “fettuccine” instead of “spaghetti”!!