Get warm with this satisfying antioxidant-rich Chickpea Soup with nutty wheat berries and warm spices. A hearty tomato-based soup.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried chickpeas (soaked overnight with 4 cups of water and 2 tsp baking soda)
- 1/2 cup wheat berries (soaked overnight together with the chickpeas)
- 7 cups water
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1-28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1/8-1/4 tsp Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro (you may reserve some fresh cilantro as a garnish to add before serving)
- Remember to soak the chickpeas and wheat berries overnight. Place them together in a bowl with 4 cups of water and 2 tsp baking soda. See Note 1.
- Rinse soaked chickpeas and wheat berries really well and drain them.
- In a medium soup pot heat, olive oil add onions and garlic. Sauté on medium heat 5-7 minutes or until translucent.
- Add drained chickpeas, wheat berries, and 4 cups of water and bring to a soft boil for 40 minutes or until the chickpeas are soft.
- Add another 3 cups of water and the rest of the ingredients except for the lemon and cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 90 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Add the lemon and fresh cilantro, mix well and turn off the heat.
- Add fresh cilantro as a garnish right before serving the soup (optional)
- If you forgot to soak the chickpeas and the wheat berries, use canned chickpeas and barley or farro instead of the wheat berries. Add them to the soup, skip step 4 and continue to step 5.
- We tried making this recipe in the instant pot and the soup lost its flavor and the spices lost their flavor. We recommend making this recipe on the stove, in an instantpot.
- NOTE: Overnight soaking is NOT included in the prep time
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Soaking time: overnight
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 6.2
- Sodium: 458
- Fat: 4.5
- Saturated Fat: 0.6
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 5.7
- Protein: 6.5
- Cholesterol: 0