Move aside mushy green beans and green bean casserole, there is a new healthier player in town. Fresh, crunchy, nutty and deliciously yummy.
- 2 pounds of fresh or frozen (thawed) French green beans ( haricots verts), trimmed and washed. If using regular green beans they may require a longer cooking time, since French green beans are thinner.
- 3 tbsp sea salt or 2 tbsp table salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2– 5.3oz (150 grams each) pack peeled and roasted chestnuts (we used Gefen )
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/8–1/4 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 cup pomegranate seeds ( about 2 pomegranates). More or less to taste
- Lemony Tahini click HERE for the recipe
- Prepare a large bowl with cold water and ice cubes
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add green beans cook for about 4-5 minutes. The green beans will be cooked, but crunchy, if you like them sifter cooked them 1-2 minutes longer.
- Transfer green beans to the ice water bowl to stop the cooking process. Remove green beans from ice bath and drain well.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add garlic and cook on medium-high for 1 minute. Add chestnuts and cherries and 1/8-1/4 tsp of salt and the black pepper, cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add drained green beans and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle with lemony tahini and sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top.
- Category: Sides
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Vegan / kosher
- Serving Size: 1 generous cup without tahini
- Calories: 198
- Sugar: 21.7
- Sodium: 242
- Fat: 2.8
- Saturated Fat: .4
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.4
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 42
- Fiber: 5.8
- Protein: 3.5
- Cholesterol: 0