This beautiful savory stuffed potatoes will surely impress your guests this Passover holiday.
- 15 medium size organic Yukon gold potatoes thoroughly washed (preferably of similar shape and size)
- 8 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 2-8oz packs baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley (plus 1/4 cup for garnish)
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large carrot, finely grated
- 1-28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 6 saffron threads or 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Cut potatoes in half. Using a metal melon baller (or a spoon if you don't have one), scoop out the center of the potatoes (keep both in 2 separate bowls of cold water and reserve the centers for future use. See Note)
- In a 4-6 quart deep saute pan with a lid, saute chopped baby bella mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add 4 cloves of garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook on high for 7 minutes or until the mushroom are dry, stirring often
- Reduce heat to medium, add parsley and cook for another 2 minutes. Set aside
- In the same pan, saute shallots and remaining minced garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook at medium-high heat for about 7 minutes or until shallots are translucent.
- Add tomato paste and grated carrot. Cook at medium heat for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add crushed tomatoes and continue cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, saffron, cinnamon and cumin. Cook at medium-high for 5-7 minutes.
- In the meantime, fill each potato half with cooked mushrooms. Arrange them on the saute pan,mushroom side up, over the tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Serve warm
1. Use scoped potato pieces for breakfast by sauteing them in olive oil until tender. Add 2 eggs, salt and pepper and cook until the eggs are done. Serve warm. Remember to keep the potato pieces in cold water so they don't turn brown! 2. Freeze extra tomato paste in a resealable freezer bag for future use. 3. If you're making this dish ahead of time, cook the potatoes for 40 minutes and before serving, cook for an additional 20 minutes, until tender
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Category: vegetarian entree
- Cuisine: Kosher / Middle Eastern / Passover