Fideua is Spanish dish very similar to paella, but using noodles instead of rice. We created a vegan version for this classic recipe from Spain.
- 1–12 oz package thin noodles
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium size onions, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 8oz frozen peas
- 7oz frozen artichoke bottoms, quartered
- 1–28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp sweet paprika
- Preheat the oven at 400F
- In a large paella pan or large oven proof skillet, sauté diced onions in olive oil, until translucent. Add minced garlic and cook at medium low heat, for about 3 minutes. Add diced peppers, sweet paprika and salt and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- In a large baking sheet, spread noodles to form a single layer. Toast in the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside. Watch the noodles carefully, you don’t want them to burn!
- In the mean time, empty the can of tomatoes through a strainer and over a bowl, mashing them to remove as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- Add frozen peas and artichokes to the pan and cook until tender. Add drained tomatoes and continue cooking for a few minutes to remove some of the moisture and allowing the flavors to combine.
- Add tomato juice and water and bring to a boil. Lightly crush noodles all over the pan and carefully mix until well combined with all the ingredients.
- Let simmer until noodles are tender.
- Remove from heat and place pan in the over. Bake at 400F for a few minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the noodles start to brown slightly.
- Category: Vegetarian entree
- Cuisine: Kosher / Spanish