These delicious Grilled Tricolor Hasselback Potatoes with Romesco Sauce are a combination of two of our favorite Spanish dishes: “Patatas Bravas” (roasted potatoes with spicy sauce) and “Romesco”, a traditional Spanish sauce/spread that is served along with grilled vegetables, meats or with toasted rustic bread. This dish is vegan and can be served as an appetizer or side dish and can be made for Passover as well.
- 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes
- 3 small red potatoes
- 3 small purple potatoes
- 4 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the Quick Romesco sauce - or try our authentic romesco sauce
- 12 ounces jarred roasted red peppers
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 slice of bread (any kind) or one sheet of Matzah if making it for Passover
- 1 /2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Thoroughly wash, scrub and dry the potatoes. Wrap the garlic for the Romesco sauce in aluminum foil
- Preheat the grill to medium-high - See Note 1
- Place one potato on a flat surface. Hold it tightly on both ends with your thumb and index finger. Using a sharp paring knife and starting from one end, cut thin slices, stopping before reaching the bottom (make sure you don't cut all the way through), keeping the cuts as even as possible. Repeat the process with the rest of the potatoes. It helps to place a chopstick on each side of the potato, to prevent you from cutting all the way through.
- Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil over each potato, rubbing them very gently so they are well coated. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly and place them on the grill. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until tender. At the same time, place the foil-wrapped garlic in the grill, and remove it after 15 minutes or until soft.
- Once the garlic is cooked and while the potatoes continue cooking, prepare the Romesco sauce. Combine all the sauce ingredients, including the garlic, in the food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Once the potatoes are ready, place them on a serving platter and cover them tightly with aluminum foil, until they’re ready to be served.
- This Hasselback potato recipe can also be made in the oven. Just bake the potatoes in a 400F oven instead of placing them on the grill. Cook until tender.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Kosher / Vegan