This recipe for veggie tortilla soup is satisfying, hearty, and filled with black beans and corn! Enjoy it piping hot in the winter or warm in the spring and summer months.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp prepared chili powder - See note 2
- 1/2 tsp chili lime
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, diced small - See note 3
- 1-28 ounce can crushed tomatoes - See Note 4
- 1 - 15 ounce can of black beans with the water in the can.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 tbsp chipotles en adobo ( use less, if you want less heat)
For the tortilla strips
- 10 small 100% corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp chili lime seasoning - See Note 1
- 1 tsp chili powder seasoning
- In a soup pot heat olive oil, add tomato paste, and cook at medium-high heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the tomato paste darkens in color.
- Add onion and jalapeño and cook for about 5 minutes, adding about 1/4 cup of water at a time to prevent the onions and jalapeños from burning.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the cilantro ( if using), bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- While the soup cooks prepare the tortilla strips
For the tortilla strips
- Heat oven to 375F
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, you may need to use 2 baking so the pan is not crowded
- Stack all the tortillas on a cutting board.
- Make 1/2" slices horizontally and vertically, until you get bite-size tortilla strips
- In a large bowl place the cut tortilla strips, add the oil and the spices and mix well, so all the tortilla pieces are coated with the oil and the spices.
- Place on the baking sheet
- Bake for 8 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the tortilla chips in the oven until the oven cools. This will crisp up the tortillas.
Serve soup hot or warm and top with tortilla strips and your choice of toppings:
- Tortilla strips
- Cashew Sour Cream
- Fresh avocado
- Slices of lime
- Regular Sour Cream
- Jalapño Slices
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Shredded cheese ( regular or vegan)
- Since the chili lime seasoning contains salt we did not add any more salt when making the tortilla strips
- In the US chili powder is generally a blend of spices that does include chilies but also has cumin, garlic powder, and herbs that dampen the heat of the chilies. In other countries, chili powder is could be made only from chilies. Keep this in mind when using chili powder outside the US, or your dish will come up really spicy.
- If you don't want to use a jalapeño pepper, you can use a small bell pepper
- If you want your soup to have a smokey flavor, fire-roasted tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 4.7
- Sodium: 747
- Fat: 9.1
- Saturated Fat: 1.4
- Unsaturated Fat: 7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 40.7
- Fiber: 9.3
- Protein: 8.5
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, kosher, tortilla soup, homemade