Tortilla de Patatas or Spanish frittata is a traditional tapa from Spain. Made with 3 simple ingredients potatoes, onions and eggs, it's vegetarian and gluten-free. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Passover too!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons ( See Note 1)
- 5 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced small (about 6 cups, diced) (See Note 2)
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced thin
- 6 eggs
- 1 - 2 tsp Sea Salt to taste (use only 1 tsp if using table salt)
- FOR STEP BY STEP IMAGES AND A VERY SHORT VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE TORTILLA DE PATATAS CHECK OUT THE IMAGES ABOVE
- Peel and cube the potatoes into small size pieces or thin slices.
- Thinly slice the Spanish onion.
- In a large 12" nonstick skillet fitted with a lid, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil.
- Add the potatoes, onions, and salt cook covered over medium heat, until soft and tender. About 15-20 minutes or longer depending on the potatoes. Taste potatoes now and adjust salt if necessary.
- Remove from heat and let them cool slightly.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 10.5" nonstick skillet.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Pour the egg/potato mixture and cook on one side, over medium heat, until the bottom starts to brown about 5-7 minutes or longer if necessary.
- Wearing oven mitts, place a lid on the skillet. Remove from heat and flip the skillet quickly, to turn the omelet around over a large heat-proof bowl. Slowly slide the uncooked side onto the skillet and return to heat. Make sure you flip the tortilla de patatas over a bowl in case some of the mixture falls off the skillet. (See Note 3)
- Prick to top of the omelet with a fork, to allow it to cook a little bit faster and to check when the eggs are cooked all the way through. Cook until eggs are no longer runny, about another 5-7 minutes or longer if necessary.
- We know it seems like we are using a lot of oil, but this dish needs it.
- You can slice the potatoes instead of dicing them if you prefer. Thet will cook faster. You can use a mandoline if you have one.
- Be very careful not to burn yourself while doing this. We recommend using oven mitts or a towel. However, if you do not feel comfortable flipping the omelette this way, place the skillet in the oven and bake at 350F until set. Make sure you use an ovenproof skillet!)
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Tapas
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Spain
- Serving Size: 1 wedge
Keywords: how to make tortilla de patatas, what is tortilla de patatas, where is tortilla de patatas from