Tortilla de Patatas or Spanish frittata is a traditional tapa from Spain. Made with 3 simple ingredients potatoes, onions and eggs, it’s vegetarian and gluten-free. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Passover too!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons ( See Note 1)
- 5 large potatoes, diced into medium size pieced ( about 6 cups, diced)
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced thing
- 6 eggs
- 1 – 2 tsp Sea Salt to taste (use only 1 tsp if using table salt)
- FOR STEP BY STEP IMAGES AND A VERY SHORT VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE TORTILLA DE PATATAS CHECK OUT THE IMAGES ABOVE
- Peel and cut the potatoes into medium size, not too thick pieces. Thinly slice the Spanish onion.
- In a large 12″ nonstick skillet fitted with a lid, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil.
- Add the potatoes, onions and salt cook covered over medium heat, until soft and tender. About 15-20 minutes or longer depending on the potatoes. Taste potatoes now and adjust salt if necessary.
- Remove from heat and let them cool slightly.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 10.5″ nonstick skillet.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Pour the egg/potato mixture and cook on one side, over medium heat, until the bottom starts to brown about 5-7 minutes or longer if necessary.
- Wearing oven mitts, place a lid on the skillet. Remove from heat and flip the skillet quickly, to turn the omelet around. Slowly slide the uncooked side onto the skillet and return to heat. Make sure you flip the tortilla de patatas over a bowl in case some of the mixture falls off the skillet. (Note: Be very careful not to burn yourself while doing this. We recommend using oven mitts or a towel. However, if you do not feel comfortable flipping the omelet this way, place the skillet in the over and bake at 350F until set. Make sure you use an ovenproof skillet!)
- Prick to top of the omelet with a fork, to allow it to cook a little bit faster and to check when the eggs are cooked all the way through. Cook until eggs are no longer runny, about another 5-7 minutes or longer if necessary.
- We know it seems like we are using a lot of oil, but this dish needs it.
- Serving Size: 1 wedge