This is a no-fuss recipe with major flavor! Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde has just 5 ingredients that come together for a homemade salsa so much better than anything in a jar. Keep scrolling for our Tomatillo Salsa Secret!
- 12 medium-size tomatillos, cut in half or in quarters
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6–8 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1 large fresh jalapeño pepper, seeds and membranes removed, chopped (See Note 1)
- 1–3 Hass avocados, freshly squeezed lemon juice and salt (optional) – (See Note 2)
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Wrap the garlic cloves in aluminum foil
- Place the tomatillos and onions on the lined baking sheet. Toss the chopped tomatillos and onion with the olive oil and salt. Place the wrapped garlic cloves on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let everything cool (do not unwrap the garlic until it has cooled)
- Once cooled, place the roasted tomatillos, onions, garlic, jalapeño and cilantro, in the food processor and pulse until smooth. Taste the salsa and add more salt to taste, if needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- If you decide to use the avocado, which we highly recommend, take 1 cup of the finished salsa (the recipe makes 3 ½ cups, so about a third) and put it in a separate bowl. Take one cup of the tomatillo salsa, add a mashed avocado, 2-3 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon, and a pinch of salt to taste, mix well and serve. The avocado will make this salsa really creamy and delicious and as a bonus the avocado will not turn brown!
- Use a smaller jalapeño pepper, if you would like the salsa mild or skip it if you don’t want any heat. Alternatively, if you want the salsa spicier, leave the seeds of the jalapeño on. Warning: Jalapeños vary in heat level, add to salsa according to your taste.
- If you decide to use the avocado, which we highly recommend, take one cup of the tomatillo salsa, add a mashed avocado, 2-3 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon, and a pinch of salt to taste, mix well and serve. The avocado will make this salsa really creamy and delicious and as a bonus the avocado will not turn brown!
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp without avocado
- Calories: 40 (with avocado 96 calories)
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 50
- Fat: 2.7
- Saturated Fat: .4
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.1
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 3.9
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: .6
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: how to make tomatillo salsa verde, what are tomatillos, tomatillo salsa verde